cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

MapInfo files in MathCAD

ptc-2089108
1-Newbie

MapInfo files in MathCAD

Hi all,

I have an export from MapInfo which contains calculated values plotted geographically (files attached).

These values actually represent the Bearer attainable from a WiMAX cell site as predicted in a RF planning tool.

I wish to import these into MathCAD 14 such that I can provide some calculations from it (distribution of bearer types, coverage area, etc). Can anyone tell me how I could import and query this data?

Many thanks

Colin.

7 REPLIES 7
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:ptc-2089108)

Some of these are plain ASCII files, some are binary files. The ASCII files are easy to read. Without knowing the format of the binary files, at best they would be a lot of work (a reverse engineering job), at worst a lost cause. Do you know which file(s) contains the information you want, and can you tell us what that information is?

Richard

Thank you for your reply.

The files are outputted and contain vector information (GIS vectors) which have attributes. These are geo-coded.

I beleive that a combination of several files is required to present these (.tab and .dat). These file formats are an industry standard used in most mapping software tools.

Basically, I want to be able to test the distribution of these attributes. This is a quality measurement of the output design (cellular network design). I think, but am not 100% sure, that the .tab and .dat files can provide all of this information.

Many thanks

Colin.

You can export all the data in ascii format into one mif-mid pair.

Attached, the data in mathcad. Perhaps you forgot to export some attributes, because the information is 'plain'. Several kind of information can be inserted in this maps.

Alvaro.
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:ptc-2089108)

I think Alvaro is correct. You want the .mif and .mid files. They are in ASCII format, so reading them into Mathcad is trivial. What you then do with the data depends on exactly what the files contain, and what parts of the data matter to you. Info on the format is here:

http://www.directionsmag.com/mapinfo-l/mif/AppJ.pdf

Richard

The first thing to do is attach the original file,
i.e: not *.zip. You zip text, not maths or data.

Your "special software" can't extract data on a Windows format ...*.dat ?

jmG
PhilipOakley
5-Regular Member
(To:ptc-1368288)

On 5/27/2009 5:14:35 PM, jmG wrote:
>The first thing to do is
>attach the original file,
>i.e: not *.zip. You zip text,
>not maths or data.
>
>Your "special software" can't
>extract data on a Windows
>format ...*.dat ?
>
>jmG

Jean,
Not sure what the problem with zip files is? I realise that some may not have "winzip" (the one that costs money), but there are other programmes such as Filzip which are free.

The mormal benefit of zip files is that they are smaller (in fact xmcdz files are just zipped files!)

regards
Philip

7ZIP works a treat.

Text files can get up above 90% compression, so with large files it's almost a must.

Philip