cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The community will undergo maintenance on October 16th at 10:00 PM PDT and will be unavailable for up to one hour.

Mathcad 15 API capabilities

JS_9876926
1-Newbie

Mathcad 15 API capabilities

Hi everyone, 
I was just curious as to the various Mathcad 15 VBA based API functionalities. I am aware of the basic functionalities of buttons and utilising the solvers in other software, but I was wondering about the practicality of the following ideas: 

-Running a VBA macro for excel which will take excel values and generate a fresh Mathcad 15 worksheet with custom equations based on the excel input values (not just filling in inputs in a pre-existing Mathcad, a full from scratch build of a Mathcad document, with scratch built equations) e.g: Simple excel sheet showing the square root of each number from 1 - 100, the macro takes the 1-100 inputs and creates 100 equations in a fresh Mathcad 15 worksheet that square root's the input, speeding up the work of manually having to write out each equation. 

-A button that takes values from a pre-existing Mathcad worksheet and inputs them into a fresh excel sheet that is formatted via VBA functions encoded into the button. E.g: The previous example but in reverse, taking the values of each input and placing them into the input column of an excel sheet. 

If the answer is no, I know there are more advanced API's in the later versions of Mathcad (Mathcad Prime comes to mind), would said functionality be possible there? 

4 REPLIES 4

Im about to start studying Marine Engineering and i kinda like doing the math on the computer so im torn between these two softwares.

There is going to be alot of eletrical and automation calculation during my degree.

So which one of these software do you guys prefer?

One of the things im fallen in love with is the ability to "just" change the values and it will "calculate" the entire thing insted of typing it all down on my HP 50g.

Im sorry if this question have been raised before.

Werner_E
25-Diamond I
(To:DF_10036751)

@DF_10036751 wrote:

im torn between these two softwares.

Which two? Do you mean Mathcad (version 15 or below) versus Prime?

Mathcad (15), while being rather old, is definitely more powerful, faster and comfortable to use.
But Mathcad will not be available after the end of this year and there are no perpetual licenses available anymore. So it will only run until the end of your current subscription and after that you will lose access to your own IP.

That said I guess it would be a bad idea to start with Mathcad15 now. Depending on your needs it may or may not be a good idea to start with Prime, but looking at other companies software sure should be an option 😉

BTW, you know that Prime after its trial period turns into a crippled "Express" mode where "premium features" are disabled and which is free for lifetime for non-commercial use. If you are just after some assignments and simple calculations this may be an option, too. Prime Express is not as crippled as it may look on first sight and others have provided working replacements for a lot of the disabled features. Programming can be sometimes replaced by sophisticated iterations but there is no replacement for symbolic calculations.

If you are interested you may take a look at Luc's fine collection of workarounds here: https://community.ptc.com/t5/PTC-Mathcad/Prime-Express-A-joke/m-p/700065/highlight/true#M193073

StuartBruff
23-Emerald III
(To:Werner_E)

BTW, you know that Prime after its trial period turns into a crippled "Express" mode where "premium features" are disabled and which is free for lifetime for non-commercial use. If you are just after some assignments and simple calculations this may be an option, too. Prime Express is not as crippled as it may look on first sight and others have provided working replacements for a lot of the disabled features. Programming can be sometimes replaced by sophisticated iterations but there is no replacement for symbolic calculations.

If you are interested you may take a look at Luc's fine collection of workarounds here: https://community.ptc.com/t5/PTC-Mathcad/Prime-Express-A-joke/m-p/700065/highlight/true#M193073

If  DF_10036751 is a student, and about to start a Marine Engineering course, then they should be able to get a Student subscription, which is generally reasonably priced (~£45 in the UK).

https://www.mathcad.uk/product/ptc-mathcad-student-licence-subscription/

Stuart
Announcements

Top Tags