cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Mathcad 15 won't work anymore

ptc-3164037
1-Newbie

Mathcad 15 won't work anymore

I tried to start Mathcad 15 and it gave me a license error. Specifically the host of the system doesn't match the host id of the license file. I'm using Windows 7 and haven't started Mathcad in several months. I'm on a laptop and recently switched to a new wifi router. That, along with any software updates is the only thing on the computer to change since the last time I ran Mathcad. The license path in the popup has my correct license path info and gives a flexnet licese error of -9,57

If i use the license wizard to configure the license for use it says the selected license has been installed and Mathcad licensing has been configured to use it, but it still won't work.

To quote King Arthur in Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Any help you could give me would be helpful.

Jim Petty

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

"Customer Number" and "Contract Number" must be included in your license file ("license.dat"). Open it in "Notepad". In addition to the license type "Locked" you also have "Home use" type in one license file? If the MAC-address of your network card has changed, then you will be able to generate a new license file using the option "Reconfigure Software Licenses" on the PTC's site, here: https://support.ptc.com/appserver/lm/rsl/reconfig.jsp

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

To be specific its saying this

fred.JPG

A couple of other people have had thios problem and I could find nothing useful in those threads and it is a home license

ONe final update I think I have a single use license not a home license as I believe I stated

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:ptc-3164037)

Do you sometimes run your laptop with a wireless LAN connection and other times run it with a wired LAN connection?

Never, It has never been wired. The only chage was switching routers, from n which stopped working to ac. I was reading the administration guide in the license directory and the host id in the license id different than the one i get by following the instructions on how to look it up on my computer. I;m also pretty sure I have a locked license.

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

Strange. The reason I asked about the LAN connection is that it locks itself to the MAC address of your primary NIC. So if you license Mathcad with the wired connection enabled and the wireless connection disabled, and then disable the wired connection and enable the wireless connection, Mathcad won't run! In fact, your "host id" is nothing more than the MAC address itself. If you open a command prompt and type "getmac" you will get the MAC ids for all the adapters in your PC. Do any of them match the host id in the license file?

No, I get the same host id I got using the method from the administrators guide plus another numbert that says media disconnected. Those are the only numbers.

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

Have you disabled the wired network connection on your PC? If you have then the MAC id will not show.

Anyway, whatever getmac shows, somehow the license locked itself to a MAC id that is no longer the primary NIC (in fact, not available at all!). On a desktop that's easy to do by replacing or adding a network card, but the only way to do it on a notebook is by enabling / disabling NICs (or, conceivably, by getting a repair to the PC). You need to rerun the license wizard to get a new license file.

Well that will mean finding the customer or sales order number, which I know I have i=on the computer, I've seen it fairly recently, but its not where I thought. THanks

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

When you have found it, keep it in a safe place where you can find it again! Also backup your current license file, even though it does not work at the moment.

"Customer Number" and "Contract Number" must be included in your license file ("license.dat"). Open it in "Notepad". In addition to the license type "Locked" you also have "Home use" type in one license file? If the MAC-address of your network card has changed, then you will be able to generate a new license file using the option "Reconfigure Software Licenses" on the PTC's site, here: https://support.ptc.com/appserver/lm/rsl/reconfig.jsp

It started working on its own. One of the identical mac adresses changed back to what was on the license without me doing anything. And if it happens again, I found my invoice and saved it in three different devices.

I have been having great problems with MathCad 15 since I moved to new computer and to Windows 10. The license is accepted by PTC Prime 3.0 but MathCad gives a series of error. First, this was because the host ID had changed and so I gave them that info and they mailed me a new license. It did not work. Then for a while MathCad did work for a couple of weeks, then stopped working again. I have mailed them several times.

Since I have the original PTC Prime 3.0 disk, would it work to uninstall both Prime and MathCad 15 and then reinstall? I have a large trove of models in MathCad 15, and using the converter messes up the formatting of my files. Help, please!

PTC can be a company quite hard to deal with (to say the least).

Since I have the original PTC Prime 3.0 disk, would it work to uninstall both Prime and MathCad 15 and then reinstall?

Not sure, number of allowed installations using the same product number (which you have to enter during installation to get a license file for your machine) may be limited. In this case only PTC support can help and the biggest challange here is to get in contact with the right person.

I have a large trove of models in MathCad 15, and using the converter messes up the formatting of my files. Help, please!

There are a lot of problem with Prime - mainly because Prime is much less capable compared with real Mathcad (15 and below). So id ever possible you should stay with MC15. A license of Prime also entitles you to license and use MC15.

ashaikh945
6-Contributor
(To:Werner_E)

I have 400 variables that I want to plot in batches of say 10. Is there a way to write code to that automatically in MatchCad 15?

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:ashaikh945)

I suggest:

1. You open a new thread in this forum with your question.

2. Attach a mathcad file with as much detail that you can provide concerning what you want to achieve.

Success!
Luc

ashaikh945
6-Contributor
(To:LucMeekes)

Thank you, I am stumbling around here. How do I open a new thread? When I have found threads, I have not be able to post to them. My fault, I am sure, but the help functions here are minimal. 

ashaikh945
6-Contributor
(To:Werner_E)

Many thanks. I have discovered through practice that I have to ask for a license each time, which lasts 3-4 weeks. 

Top Tags