cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are troubleshooting an issue impacting community login, and it may be intermittently unavailable. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Mathcad Prime 2.0 Slow

ptc-3294689
1-Newbie

Mathcad Prime 2.0 Slow

Hello,

I finally upgraded from Mathcad 14 to Mathcad Prime 2.0 M010. Why is it so slooooooooooow in every aspect. It's on an HP XW8600 Worksation with Windows 7 Professional 64 bit operating system. I am running the version 4.0 of Microsoft .net and have installed PTC's recommended Microsoft Hotfix for .net 4.0. I've read nothing good about Prime 2.0 and actually only wanted Mathcad 15 but could find no other way to get Mathcad 15. Prime 2.0 doesn't seem useable for anything more than a couple page math calculation document.

Has anybody got Mathcad prime to function successfully? It goes from slow slow slow to "not responding". I've had it swich from draft to page layout mode several times on its own. I cannot spend hours creating math calculations then have it crash. For now I am forced to use Mathcad 15. Any sugestions on fixes for Mathcad Prime 2.0 are greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Mike

6 REPLIES 6

I suggest posting the worksheet so others can see if it is an error in the worksheet or if it is your computer.

Werner_E
25-Diamond I
(To:ptc-3294689)

I don't think it has anything to do with a specific worksheet. Prime2 simply is so slow with awful responding time - useless crap.

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:Werner_E)

The behavior described does not sound normal though.

Werner_E
25-Diamond I
(To:RichardJ)

The behavior described does not sound normal though.

Yes, that possibly true.

But on the other hand I never tried Prime with longer and more complex worksheets as it was awfully slow and user-unfriendly with the most simple ones. As I understand the poster tried more voluminous sheets and I could easily image Primes behaviour getting even worse.

I must confess that during my tests Prime never switched from draft to layout on its own and that it usually responded eventually, but very often only after an unacceptable long time (and I am speaking of things like marking and/or copying an expression - not complex calculations). So the highly praised userinterface, which, as i understood, was the main reason for developing Mathcad new from scratch, is the problem (at least for me). I never understood why PTC released a product unfinished, incomplete and poor to such a high degree as Version 1.0 and now 2.0.

WE

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:Werner_E)

You will not find me singing too many praises for Prime. But Mike said it was unusable for anything more than two pages, and that is not my experience. It's unusable because it's missing too many features, and I hate the ribbon, but a two page worksheet should not stop responding.

Thanks for all the input. I am managing to use Prime 2.0 for this project. The worksheet is 44 pages of calculations, text boxes and drawing images to create an analysis report. I originally created most of the report in Mathcad 15. I converted it to Prime with the conversion utility in Prime 2.0. It converted without errors but there were still alot of formating issued I had to clean up. I think if the worksheet originates in Prime 2.0 there would have been fewer issues.

I prefer using Mathcad 15 over Prime 2.0. Although in 15 I was having an issue with pages lengths randomly reducing as the number of pages in the worksheet started reaching 30+. I've had that happen in 14 as well. But the only reason I switched to prime is because the final printed worksheet looks better, regardless of what I did in Mathcad 15. Even with Prime's very limited formatting capabilities. I do like the ability to collapse large matrices in Prime to reduce the page space they use.

Prime is definitely slow responding at least half the time. In the past when I have had programs slow to respond as Prime does it was often due to memory leaks. Although it does scroll up and down through pages better than 15. Prime takes so long to save I actually sometimed get a "not responding" message momentarily during the save process.

Thanks,

Mike

Announcements

Top Tags