cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Mathcad Prime 4.0 does not appear to support OLE like Mathcad 15?

rhart-2
1-Newbie

Mathcad Prime 4.0 does not appear to support OLE like Mathcad 15?

Hi

We use MS Office (Word, Excel and PowerPoint) exclusively for reports and use OLE to insert Mathcad 15 objects into documents since they must be achieved in a Laboratory Information System database which would not know what to do with a Mathcad document or how to view it.  Looking at migrating to Mathcad prime 4.0 and there seems to be no OLE functionality natively in the product. Is OLE some feature that needs to be enabled or an add-on that needs to be installed? I did see some sort of add-on for Excel OLE download, but have not tried it. At first look I already hate Mathcad Prime 4.0 due to the totally new UI, but could get used to that if I had too. If it does not natively support OLE with other Windows programs it would appear to be totally useless in the real world, where Microsoft Office is a standard. I am hoping that PTC has not made the marketing mistake of not making Mathcad Prime OLE compatible and instead  offering the free Mathcad Express version hoping their file format will become a standard like adobe PDF and replace other Windows application like MS Office. If so good luck with that.

Any assistance with Mathcad Prime 4.0 OLE with Microsoft Office would be appreciated?

Thanks,

5 REPLIES 5
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:rhart-2)

There is so much in features, possibilities and performance that Prime up to and including version 4 does not have with respect to Mathcad (version 15), that it is wise to stick with Mathcad. There are only very few instances of the reverse.

PTC (appear to) have made the promise that Mathcad 15 will remain around until (a future version of) Prime can viably replace Mathcad. That's why you get a free license of Prime with every Mathcad 15 you buy (, no, its the other way around).

Success!
Luc

This is strange!

I stopped trying to paste Mathcad objects into Word about version 8, things never stayed where they were supposed to be.  So I can't speak to version 15 into Word today (although the short test I just did seems to work better!)

Why would you want to paste an active link into a report?  I've been pasting bit maps, it's frustrating and challenging when you make changes in the design parameters--remembering all the places that you need to alter, but the appearance of the report doesn't suddenly display a blank space.

One of Prime 4.0's major selling points was supposed to be that it would now paste and keep formatting.  Anybody try that?

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:Fred_Kohlhepp)

It is not practice for me to store images of calculations in a word documenet since the actual Mathcad document would have to be archived in our database separately. With OLE it becomes part of the word document and can be achieved as such. Thanks.

vlehner
13-Aquamarine
(To:rhart-2)

Hi Richard,

When i copy and paste from MP4 into word, it is totally unsharp when zooming a bit .

The embedding of MathCad information into Word for example Is not resolved to satisfaction by PTC.

I plot my MC-Files into pdf and that's it.

Volker
Top Tags