cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Mathcad Prime E-Books and Function Packs

JosephKuhn
1-Newbie

Mathcad Prime E-Books and Function Packs

Will my E-Books and Function Packs from Mathcad 15 work with Mathcad Prime? Can I have both Mathcad 15 and Mathcad Prime installed and running on my computer?

10 REPLIES 10

You can run Mathcad Prime 1.0 and future releases of Mathcad Prime simultaneously with Mathcad 15. In fact you need the current version of Mathcad 15 to convert worksheets from earlier versions of Mathcad into Mathcad Prime, so we sell them as one bundle.

The Data Analysis, Signal Processing, and Image Processing functions and E-book content was merged directly into Mathcad Prime 1.0, so you no longer need to purchase them separately.

Mathcad Prime 1.0 does not have an E-book facility, so you would need to convert E-book content into Mathcad Prime 1.0 or 2.0 when it releases.

Mona

The loss of the E-books was the major reason why I will be using Mathcad 15.0 as

long as I am able. I have Roarks, Basic techniques, Advanced techniques, Machine

design, Building structural design (somewhat outdated but still useful), Building

thermal analysis, Electrical and Electronic engineering and several others I don't use.

To convert those would be too time consuming.

I know that Roarks is available on Knovel. That also removes an easily accessed

feature to a secondary program i.e. inconvenient.

I have also advised the other engineers at my location to not change for this reason.

I know that other Math programs (TK Solver) offer add-ons such as Roarks. So I am

not sure why PTC choose to break those handy links.

Just saying I am very disappointed.

I was just about to convert my reactor modeling book to the linked e-book form when I saw this discussion.

Mona, are there plans to support the .hbk format in a future release of Prime? If not, I may as well not make that conversion.

Harvey,

We do plan to offer some kind of electronic book facility in a future release of Mathcad Prime. However, I'm not sure what form it will take.

Mona

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:mzeftel)

I am glad to hear that. Personally, I think ebooks are one of the most underexploited, and unique, features of Mathcad. If Mathcad were an Apple product by now we would have thousands of ebooks in the ebook store, and Apple would be taking a 30% rake on every sale

Have Ebooks been implemented in Mathcad Prime 3.0 yet?

Jonathan Seeley wrote:

Have Ebooks been implemented in Mathcad Prime 3.0 yet?

No. Did you really expect this to happen?

I've ignored Prime for several years now, so I'm trying to have an open mind and re-evaluate it. It would be nice if PTC would have an honest discussion of "What's still missing from Prime" rather than talking about "what's new".

Jonathan Seeley wrote:

I've ignored Prime for several years now, so I'm trying to have an open mind and re-evaluate it. It would be nice if PTC would have an honest discussion of "What's still missing from Prime" rather than talking about "what's new".

Seems like PTC marketing had decided to propagate the smaller of the two lists.

On the other hand, the "whats new" list usually published is rather big as they seem to tend to compare with Prime1 and sell age old features as new ones. Its a shame!

Also, this article on installation and licensing Mathcad Prime 1.0 can be useful too:

http://blogs.ptc.com/2011/09/15/licensing-and-installation-getting-started-with-mathcad-quickly/

Top Tags