cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Minimization solve possiblities

vp04v-disabled
1-Newbie

Minimization solve possiblities

Dear sir

I am reposting the sheet both M14 & M11

I need to minimize the centre distance "a" with respect to d1(diameter) and module(Mn)

I have formulated somehow as stage 1 in equation format.

The equations i have written i cannot sure weather this is can be solved or not...

Pl. COmment about my equations formulation & solving possiblities.

The subject is new to me and by interest and encouragement of your replies keeps me going...

Prakash
8 REPLIES 8

You have not define a as a function of the variables for which you are searching. Read the help on minimize for the requirements for using that function.

BTW, your picture is still pasted as an embedded object rather than just a picture. This one seems to work, but is still problmatical. If needed, just just the Mathcad insert picture. Or paste as just a picture (or possibly bitmap), not a bitmap object.

Thanks Mr.Tom for ur patience reply.(simply great)
I have redefined somehow but still i cannot complete Still trying...to solve..

I agree u why i have not included units is while solving there may chance to collapse...

Regarding picture i cannot understand what u r meant.Normally what i have to do is drawn in some MS word or paint save as image and copy that one to mathcad(just paste)

Last time while doing this(M14)quality has got detorieted.Hence drawn mathcad itself is anything wrong?

On 12/3/2009 3:48:20 AM, lmw wrote:
>...but still i cannot complete. Still
>trying...to solve..

==> "solve", answer is there [click on the image]
"If you say F(x,d)=0, you are then solving for 'x' given some 'd'. The function has no minimum." (as per your previous 11 work sheet).

>...
>Regarding picture i cannot
>understand what u r
>meant.Normally what i have to
>do is drawn in some MS word or
>paint save as image and copy
>that one to mathcad(just paste)
>
>Last time while doing
>this(M14) quality has got
>deteriorated. Hence drawn mathcad
>itself is anything wrong?

==> can't understand: MS Word drawn ?
==> did you mean Excel drawing (metafile) ?
==> Paint drawn: if you save as image, what type image ? There are so many types. Just proceed as I have explained to get a perfect shape *.gif style 256 colors, as that one attached.

Can't read you new material not saved 11 version.

>Hence drawn Mathcad<<br> ==> don't understand: Mathcad has no drawing tool.

jmG

You still have not defined a as a function of the independent variables (you have defined it as a fixed quantity). And you are still trying to pass it as an argument to minimize (doesn't work in MC14, due to a bug in SUC).

Don't use paste. Use paste special, where you get a choice of the format to paste. The default format is an embedded object (the most general form), and not usually what you want.

On 12/2/2009 1:38:58 AM, lmw wrote:
>The equations i have
>written i cannot sure weather
>this is can be solved or
>not...

Pl. Comment about my
>equations formulation &
>solving possibilities.

The
>subject is new to me and by
>interest and encouragement of
>your replies keeps me
>going...

Prakash

The attached collection should help you grasp many of the most common "Mathcad solving". It works in Mathcad 14 except where it turns red because Mathcad 14 does not take the serial definition [, ,]:=[, ,]. Define as per 14 acceptance.
As far as your equation/formulation their interpretation is very limited, limited to this.

jmG

For your small drawing, make it in Paint, nice and clean, paste in IrfanView, reduce colors and paste in Mathcad. For large size objects, I paste in Paint, select, copy, paste in Wingrab and reduce to 256 colors. For large multicolor objects, WinGrab preserves the 256 color just perfectly.

Both, IrfanView & WinGrab are freeware from the web.

jmG

Thanks to both Mr.Tom &Jmg

Help understandings:
The format to minimize is f(x,y) and in the function both variables to present.
In constraints part boolean operators to use in and the variables to present.

Study Inference Clarifications:
Objective function should be both variables present?if it is not so have to rewrite the equation and (as defined by Mr.JMg)have to provide some range values to solve.
To solve suppose three variables mathcad doesnot support?(i am planning to put three variables)
In constrain part can we define equality constraints?(=)

I am still studying to rewrite the equation to solve.
Note:
Regarding pasting of picture i have downloaded the irfanview freeware soft.(this software is to minimize the file size?)
To insert the picture have to use paste-special.

Thanks
Prakash

Usually the objective function depends on all the variables. Otherwise you do not usually get a unique solution. A variable for which you are searching that does not affect the objective function is merely limited by the constraints. With inequality constraints that will generally allow a wide range of values.

You can have equality constraints as well as inequality constraints. Equality constraints may define unique values for variables that don't affect the objective function. Depends on the particular set of constraints.

There is no reasonable limit to the number of variables on which you are optimizing. There is some limit on the number of variable names you can specify (something on the order of 50 IIRC), but variables can be vectors, and so represent a number of values. Linear programming problems are typically cast in matrix-vector form, with few named variables.

Range variables are not really relevant to this sort of problem. You cannot use them in a solve block, a range variable in a constraint is invalid and does not represent a set of constraints.