cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Multithreading in Mathcad Prime 2.0

mzeftel
1-Newbie

Multithreading in Mathcad Prime 2.0

We are looking into the multithreading feature in Mathcad Prime 2.0 and are wondering how people are using it.

Multithreading—When on, Mathcad can simultaneously perform multiple independent calculations. This may speed up calculation of some worksheets that contain a number of independent calculations, by better utilizing multi-processor systems.

We're investigating if multithreading should be the default (always on) or if users want to easily change the setting to turn it off for a specific worksheet.

Attached is a Mathcad Prime 2.0 worksheet showing how mulithreading works. To run the worksheet, turn on Multithreading, then recalculate by pressing F5 or F9.

To turn on Multithreading:

1. Go to Calculation Tab > Calculation Options button.
  2. Click on the Multithreading button.

Here you can see 3 calculations running at once and one that has finished. Sleep just tells Mathcad to pause for the number of seconds in the argument.

multithreading.png

I'd like to see some examples how you might use multithreading and also examples of when you'd prefer sequential processing.

Thanks,

Mona

12 REPLIES 12

Mona,

I would like to use the multithreading feature of Prime2. I am working with an excel file with 5 worksheets, each with 35,000 data points. Multithreading would save a lot of time to complete the calculation. Not only that, the x64 would spead up the process. I am using v15 to complete the project, because Prime2 does not provide presentable 2d plots. The four files take up 15mg and 45 minutes to run an analysis. As you may guess, I am pretty frustrated with Prime2. It is the basics that are driving me nuts.

David Tg

I use Multithread (MT) in all my calculations, and with a simple "time()" we can measure the gain of performance of our calculations. Nevertheless, I want to know how enable by a syntax or comand (like ORIGIN:=1), to avoid setting up every time that I open my sheet.

Please, It's that possible?.

Thanks a lot!

You can have this area in the top of your opened sheet (template), change somone (1 to 0) in the second operator and see this time. But do not use Ctrl+F9!

timeD.png

Thanks dude, but I want to know how to enable the MT feature by syntaxis (function or command like the ORIGIN:=1), that's because this function always stay disabled, even if I enable it and save the sheet (after the re-opening, the MT stay off again, isn't persistent).

Thanks!

jkucan
1-Newbie
(To:fchavez)

This is a bug in Prime 2.0 F000. It has been fixed in Prime 2.0 M010. Note that the MT is an application option -- that is, it is not specific to a worksheet.

fchavez
1-Newbie
(To:jkucan)

Thanks Mr. Jakov , that's the answer that I'm looking for.

Finally, the changelog are available for the comunity?, for reading changes between new releases and test it.

Thanks again.

ELSID
4-Participant

And M020 came out the other day http://communities.ptc.com/message/193194#193194

fchavez
1-Newbie
(To:ELSID)

That's for MathCad15 or not? 😕 (M020 that you post)

ELSID
4-Participant

Yes, for MC 15. However, during the EXPO, they mentioned that a service release was being issued at the same time to for Prime2.0. If your on maintenance, you may want to confirm. I need to get better at checking what I write vs. what I mean .

jkucan
1-Newbie

PTC Mathcad 15.0 M020 was released end of November 2012

PTC Mathcad Prime 2.0 M010 was released mid October 2012

VladimirN
24-Ruby II

List of bugs fixed in Mathcad Prime 2.0 M010 can be found here: http://communities.ptc.com/thread/40171

Raiko
16-Pearl
(To:mzeftel)

Hello Mona,

this is great news.

However, I'd rather have MC Prime having a routine running that, based on the number of possible parallel threads, proposes whether parallel processing is advisable or not.

I'd like to use it for some rather lengthy sheets which I currently use split up in several documents which I call up by a reference. So in my case I can't come up with an example where I's like to switch off parallel processing.

Raiko

Top Tags