cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

New to Mathcad and need to read .wav file for frequency and dB level

ptc-6746287
1-Newbie

New to Mathcad and need to read .wav file for frequency and dB level

I just got Mathcad roughly a few days ago and I need to run a dB and spectral analysis on a .wav file I recorded. I am brand new to this software and don't know where to start. If anyone can help or lead me in the right direction, that'd be awesome.

Erik

6 REPLIES 6

Erik Quiroz wrote:

I just got Mathcad roughly a few days ago and I need to run a dB and spectral analysis on a .wav file I recorded. I am brand new to this software and don't know where to start. If anyone can help or lead me in the right direction, that'd be awesome.

Erik

You may want to look up the command READWAV, WRITEWAV and GETWAVINFO in Mathcads help.

Furthermore it would be a good idea to look at the "Signal Processing Extension Pack" E-Book (-> Help - E.Books).

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:ptc-6746287)

Read the file using READWAV and GETWAVINFO, convert it to the frequency domain using cfft, normalize the y-axis correctly for intensity or power, calibrate the x-axis based on the sampling interval. The attached might help with getting a dB scale.

I couldn't open the XMCDZ file type in Mathcad. I'm currently using Mathcad 1.0 and the file types it uses are MCDX.

Also I'm having a bit of trouble plotting the WAV data matrix into a time domain plot. I'm following the Example: Forward Transform CFFT under the Mathcad 1.0 Help Center and I need help up to step 7.

If you're using Mathcad Prime 1.0 then you're in trouble.

You are eligible for a copy of Mathcad 15.0, necessary to translate from the older versions to Prime.

Richard's files will open and execute in 15. I have serious doubts if Prime (even at the current version 3) could do what you ask.

Is the copy of Mathcad 15.0 free to upgrade from 1.0? My work has licensing for 1.0, but I'm not sure if ugrading to Mathcad 15 would cost extra.

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:ptc-6746287)

Your license fiile for Prime 1.0 is valid for Mathcad 15. You can download Mathcad 15 here: http://www.ptc.com/product/mathcad/free-trial/thank-you

Prime 1.0 has very limited capability. We also can't do much with any Prime 1.0 worksheets, because Prime 3.0 can't save back to Prime 1.0 format (so we could read a worksheet you posted, but we cannot create or modify any worksheet that you could then read).

Top Tags