cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

PTC has ruined MathCad!

ptc-3861106
1-Newbie

PTC has ruined MathCad!

Hi - I have been using MathCad since ~2002. Over the years, I have grown to love the program and have resulted in literally hundreds of sales of the product now that I am a professor. I (used to) require my students to purchase it for my classes. I continued that practice this semester. Our copies of MathCad 15 ran out in the book store, so I just told them to get the latest and greatest. We ordered 100 licenses of the completely garbage Prime 2.0.

I am sorry, but the fact that I can't use over a decade of prior work is a complete joke. I have many licenses of MathCad, but apparently not the right one to even convert my perfectly good files to the garbage Prime 2.0.

I have tried to find someone to help me, but there is no useful help that I have found.

Unless I get help today, I am going to have my bookstore return the 100 copies of this garbage program and never allow my students to use it in my classes.

Seriously, you have taken THE best engineering calculation software and ruined it.

Sincerely, Bill

43 REPLIES 43

And thank you, Professor Bill, for hammering this nail hard enough to get PTC's attention. An individual user like my slef often does not have the influence over purchasing decisions of others, which therefore limits my influence over the spending decisions made by...PTC. I was, however, recently asked to give input reagarding which of the mainline math/CAS programs our small company should adopt going forward as the company standard, and despite my having 10+ years of experience and prior art base in MathCad, the issues PTC has had in bringing Prime up to speed caused me to back away from recommending MathCad/Prime as the preferred solution.

The main problem I see is that the Prime build-out IS SIMPLY TAKING TOO LONG for legacy users to accept, without being tempted or even forced to seek alternate platform solutions.

Scott

syaacoby
4-Participant
(To:ptc-3861106)

PTC, Please do nothing...

Just support the v15.0 that is the Last serious software...before the age of jokes...

I am very concerned about the collection of my old Mathcad documents ...

Shemy

mmartel
4-Participant
(To:ptc-3861106)

I have just purchased the Prime 2.0 and tried to convert my programs over. I am a structural engineer and many of my programs have cad files attached into them which can be edited. This is no longer available, You can attach jpg but not c dwg's. I would like to see that option brought into the Prime. Also the simple stuff as in the header and footer has changed and even though they tried to make it look more like calculation paper i would like to be able to add boarders around the headers and body like in version 15.

Mike

I bought Prime 2 several days ago and also disappointed. I associate with the critical reviews. Among other things, I have not found floating pallets of tools and now constantly jumping between bookmarks, which is rather tiring ... Where are these palettes? Maybe I have not found a way to rescue them from obscurity?

Vyacheslav

Vyacheslav Kremenetsky wrote:

Where are these palettes?

Where are these countries, pardon, this Mathcad!?

See http://communities.ptc.com/message/191439

Thanks for advice. Really, PTC developers need not emotions but concrete remarks.

As for me, I lack the ability to configure panels for myself ("Preferences" or something like that), I would like to have quick access panel (as in Office 2007-2010) and floating templates of tools. Sub-titles in solve block (on the left) overlap with decreasing in the size of this area (but I have the Russian version, and not sure that it does in other versions).

Mathcad is only auxiliary program for me. I think there are much more fundamental observations in addition to those already made above.

Vyacheslav

Vyacheslav Kremenetsky wrote:

Thanks for advice. Really, PTC developers need not emotions but concrete remarks.

There are not only emotions but concrete remarks too.

See this poll for example:

http://communities.ptc.com/polls/1134

Prime 3.0 has been released and it still has major functionality missing. I am STILL unable to convert my v15 worksheets.

Rick Mason wrote:

Prime 3.0 has been released and it still has major functionality missing. I am STILL unable to convert my v15 worksheets.

I too.

But I have a lot of sheets worked only in Prime. With some this tools http://communities.ptc.com/polls/1141

syaacoby
4-Participant
(To:RickMason)

I agree with you completely ...

We shall wait to Prime 4.0 or Prime 5.0...

PTC HAS lost its sensitivity to its customers,,,

I am VERY sorry for that...

SHEMY

shemy yaacoby wrote:

I agree with you completely ...

PTC HAS lost its sensitivity to its customers,,,

Lost old customers and find a lot of new. I think/hope...

I also believe that Prime is aimed at a different user group, and I do not mean that as a compliment.

Werner Exinger wrote:

I also believe that Prime is aimed at a different user group, and I do not mean that as a compliment.

It is not a compliment - it is a marketing!

Yes, I completely agree. PTC has made MathCAD irrelevant. Last time I purchased MathCAD was from ASU Book store and it was MathCAD 2000, student. Everything I did in that version as a graduate student is not convertible into the "new" PTC "improved" version. Even a trivial eigenvalue solution gets screwed by the PTC software "intelligentia". In fact, you can see that PTC has grown so big that it's no longer capable of developing creative new software, they just engulf/buy their possible competitors. And they multiplied the licence fee by 60-100 times. GREED and incompetence rules!

Top Tags