cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

+/- Plus/Minus sign Mathcad Prime?

DS_10024912
12-Amethyst

+/- Plus/Minus sign Mathcad Prime?

Does Mathcad Prime include a ± plus/minus sign or symbol?  

10 REPLIES 10
ttokoro
20-Turquoise
(To:DS_10024912)

I think the answer is no. You can only use special fonts that windows can display like yours. However, it is no meaning. So you must define it to use.

image.png

Thanks @ttokoro  -  I figured it was worth adding (with slight hopes that they added the ± operator in Mathcad Prime)

@DS_10024912 wrote:

Does Mathcad Prime include a ± plus/minus sign or symbol?  

In which way would you like to make use of such a sign?

You can create a function like

Werner_E_0-1715909920922.png

and use it that way

Werner_E_1-1715909936572.png

In real Mathcad you can also use it as infix operator

Werner_E_3-1715910000029.png

but in Prime this option (like so many others) is not available.

You can create the function in Prime but you only can use it in prefix mode with argument parenthesis

Werner_E_4-1715910277668.png

Werner_E_5-1715910290829.png

You may also define it as

Werner_E_0-1715911140548.png

but I guess this only makes sense if you can use it as infix operator.

Thanks @Werner_E  - When I get around to installing Mathcad Prime 10 I'll have a look at your example document.   But, my typical use of the plus/minus operator is, well, an operator.   I'll have to see if I can use a function instead of a variable. 

Why did we move to Mathcad Prime if they don't have the ± plus/minus operator?

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:DS_10024912)

What is your definition of the '+/- operator', what does it do according to you(r use of it)?

Luc

I use ± in math equations.   This is very common.   

You did not answer the question about how you would like to use the +/- or how you would define it as an operator!

As I see it, while + and - are operators, +- isn't. Of course unless you define it, e.g. the way I did in my first answer (two inputs x,y and two outputs x-y and x+y).

So again - whats your definition and use case ?

I also don't understand what you mean by "using a function instead of a variable"!? Any operator can be seen as a mapping function, but sure not as a variable!

I would use ± as one normally would use ± in math (written on paper).  I haven't defined anything in Mathcad.

So I understand that you want to use Mathcad or Prime just as an equation editor and not for doing any calculations. Otherwise you would have to define what the result of applying your +- operator should be, if its not the 2x1 matrix which I had defined in my first answer.

My suggestion (using real Mathcad) was

Werner_E_0-1715982195796.png

The best we could achieve in Prime is just

Werner_E_1-1715982227354.png

It seems that Mathcad doesn't have a ± operator - so either some workaround would be needed for symbolic solves and calculation or use a different software tool.    I haven't tried your method yet - I still need to install Mathcad 10, I'm avoiding that (I have bad memories with connecting the license).   It isn't urgent that I have a working ± operator or reasonable equivalent in Mathcad Prime.  I was just curious if that ever got implemented.    Thanks for your help. 

Top Tags