cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Possibilities of Tabes in Mathcad - in Comparisson with Excel

ptc-4991791
1-Newbie

Possibilities of Tabes in Mathcad - in Comparisson with Excel

Dear Mathcad users,

I´m looking to create a datatable and plot in Mathcad.

The data in the table are dependent on two variables, independent of each other. The extreme values of the endresult are calculated seperately but schould be a part of the final plot. Is this possible, and is it possible in an unlizenzed Mathcad?

The Excel sheet and my Mathcad-try are attached to this post. In the Excel-Table, the first two colums are the variables, all the following columns depend on them. The pink cells are the extreme values.

I also have a few other questions:

1) The mathcad I have installed is Prime 2.0. It saves teh data with a mcdx extension. I can not open mcd extensions created in a previous version of mathcad. Is my data lost?

2) Is it possible to crate pdf outputs from mathcad?

3) Is it possible to create a sheet format with frame, logo, etc, etc....?

Best regards from a real newby

8 REPLIES 8

I also have a few other questions:

1) The mathcad I have installed is Prime 2.0. It saves teh data with a mcdx extension. I can not open mcd extensions created in a previous version of mathcad. Is my data lost?

Its not lost, but deep buried 😉 No, honestly you cannot open older mathcadsheets directly in Prime as we are used from any other decent software. You have convert it first. The conversion program is installed along with Prime2 and you can call it as a separete program or from within Prime. Go to Ribbon "Eingabe/Ausgabe" (guess we both use the german flavour here in Austria:-) and select "XMCD-, MCD-Konvertier". You have to be aware that you must have the lastest version of Mathcad15 installed to make the conversion to work - I guess the 30day trial will do while I am not really sure about that. The conversion is possible only in this direction, there is no way to convert Prime sheets into the format of older Mathcad versions. The conversion itself often fails and the regions where something went wrong are marked in the Prime sheet, The reason for this is that Prime does not support all features of prior Mathcad version. Politely said its still a work in progress.

2) Is it possible to crate pdf outputs from mathcad?

No support from Mathcad here, but you can create fine pdf-files by using one of the many available pdf-printers. Free versions (amongst many others) are pdfCreator or cutePDF, commercial versions include pdffactory or, of course, Adobe PDF creator.

3) Is it possible to create a sheet format with frame, logo, etc, etc....?

In Mathcad 15 and prior - yes. Mathcad Prime does not support template files and does not allow much variations concerning page formatting. You will create your sheet with your logo etc. (no support for date, filename, page number, though), save it and use and rename it for every new project. Uncomfortable, but a least a way to do it.

Vukica Jukic schrieb:

Dear Mathcad users,

I´m looking to create a datatable and plot in Mathcad.

The data in the table are dependent on two variables, independent of each other. The extreme

The attached sheet should help, I hope.

Hi Werner,

thank a lot for you help. The sheet you sent me was realy helpfull. Thou two major points are still unsolved.

Is it possible to plot he last two cols of the table?

Can I add the N and M values as atributes? Will they be plotet in this case?

Vukica Jukic schrieb:

Hi Werner,

thank a lot for you help. The sheet you sent me was realy helpfull. Thou two major points are still unsolved.

Is it possible to plot he last two cols of the table?

Can I add the N and M values as atributes? Will they be plotet in this case?

Yes, of course its possible to plot one column of a matrix against the other. But as I already wrote in the file, you did not provide the equations for the calculation of the variables Nrd and Mrd which I guess should be plotted one against the other. Looking at the pdf you provided I don't think you want plot zt or zc (which are the last two columns in the table), right?

Not sure what you mean with "addings N and M as attributes".

No...Ft and Fc are just calculation parameters.

I´ve added the expressions for N and M in the attached mathcad sheet. The firs and the last value of M and N are independet of the epilons. that why I was thinking tah it would be great if I can add them simply as attributes.

Vukica Jukic schrieb:

No...Ft and Fc are just calculation parameters.

I´ve added the expressions for N and M in the attached mathcad sheet. The firs and the last value of M and N are independet of the epilons. that why I was thinking tah it would be great if I can add them simply as attributes.

attributes? You mean as first and alst value in the table? In Mathcads matrix you cannot leave some "cells" empty as in Excel, but you can assign a text (as i did with the labels). So if you insist those values to be included in the table, you would have to fill up the "empty" cells accordingly.

I'll have a look at your new file

Look if the attached is somewhat what you have asked for. The graph is far away from being a parabola as in your pdf, though. You might want to check your values and formulas.

I was just about to reply to your fist post.

The failure was that the formula for Mrd was false. As you changed the leading signes in the Nrd expression, then Mrd had to be adjusted appropriately.

But the poit of yousing Mathcad in this case it to create an easy controlble output / to have good owerview of what is calculated.

I´ve noticed the Excel-component function. This might be a better solution... I will deal with it tomorrow.

Top Tags