cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Possible silly question

josh_1143-disab
1-Newbie

Possible silly question

Hay guys,

I will start be apologising if this is a silly question, I've googled the hell out of my question so eventually came here.

My question is thus. Is it possible to use the "therefore" or "implication" signs in mathcad? and if so how?

Thanks

Josh
6 REPLIES 6

Exactly which therefor and implication signs do you mean? And exactly what sort of "use" do you mean?

MC14 uses Unicode throughout, so you can use any Unicode character that exists in the font you are using. That applies to text and to variable names.

"Therefore" is not a mathematical operator, and would be considered to be text, so any font that can generate the symbol would be usable.

TTFN,
Eden

Isn't therefore three dots in a triangle?

What's implication? Tilda ~ ? Right arrow?

Others are right though - any character can be inserted. I find "CharMap" a handy utility. Go to "Start" then "Run" and type "CharMap". This is often also included in your accessories area - but I never bother with that.

Then locate the character you are after in any supported font.

For me the "three dot triangle" is on the third line of teh Symbol font, and Tilda on the forth (or on the keyboard for a standard font).

CharMap is handy because you can see all the greek as well as general math symbols. It also has some other handy symbols, such as arrows and... well... open Wingdings and Webdings and you have little pictures of almost anything.

Cheers,
Philip

In math literature, the 3 dots (triangle) is "therefore". As explained in this threads, you can name a function with such a symbol carrying the argument(s), providing the RHS makes sense. But that adds no special meaning. It would make some distinction if "therefore" is followed by a Bolean equality value or some terms as conclusion.

jmG

Thanks guys.

Seems I was looking in the wrong place.

It wasn't meant so much as an actual function. But I was hoping to use it as a way of setting out my work so it became more straight forward and readable for my tutor. To the uni code and charmap.

Thanks again 🙂

Josh

The way to do that is to define a 2 parameter function using the symbol of choice as it's main character (use the ctrl+shft+K to get literal character entry if needed). The function can evaluate to simply zero.

Then when you need it you click the "xfy" function pallette icon to get three place holders, your special 'function' then goes in the middle.

This is explained in a couple of places (i.e you have to combine two techniques...)

Philip Oakley
Top Tags