cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Pressure Resulting from Shrink Fit

ptc-4961564
4-Participant

Pressure Resulting from Shrink Fit

Hello folks,

MathCAD Prime 3.0 novice user here with a question. I am trying to duplicate example 51.4 from Lindeburg to determine the pressure resulting from a shrink fit betwen two cylinders. I have attached a .PDF of the problem. I have also attached a coply of my MathCAD Prime 3.0 file which I am struggling with.

To me, the problem involves solving a system of equations for "P". I have put the entire problem into a solve block but I am not sure if this is the correct approach. The three regions of the solve bloc "Guess Values", "Contraints", and "Solver" regoins seem to run together.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Best regards,

Bill

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

The original version of Mathcad used to be very particular about what we could put inside solve blocks.  Take all of your problem definitions outside the solve block.

When a parameter depends on the value of a property that might change (like pressure) create a function definition.  (See examples.)

Then you wind up with a very small, readily understood solve block.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
-MFra-
21-Topaz II
(To:ptc-4961564)

Hi,

In the solve block you should use the comparison operator, as follows:

ptc------.jpg

ptc-4961564
4-Participant
(To:-MFra-)

Thanks F.M.,

I made the suggested changes.  

My current syntax for the solve funtion is:

find(P):=[  ]

This still does not return a result for the pressure "P".  Is the syntax above correct? 

Regrads,

Bill

-MFra-
21-Topaz II
(To:ptc-4961564)

Hi Bill,

Follow Mr. Kolepp's advice

Greetings

The original version of Mathcad used to be very particular about what we could put inside solve blocks.  Take all of your problem definitions outside the solve block.

When a parameter depends on the value of a property that might change (like pressure) create a function definition.  (See examples.)

Then you wind up with a very small, readily understood solve block.

Fred,

Thanks for your help and the changes you made to my file.  

All the best,

Bill

Top Tags