cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

Probability linear programming

Wave-disabled
1-Newbie

Probability linear programming

Can someone shed some light on this probability linear programming problem? my fist course in linear programming
2 REPLIES 2
PhilipOakley
5-Regular Member
(To:Wave-disabled)

It's important to distinquish between the method, and the domain. In this case we have the method of linear programming, which is being applied to the probability domain.

So it isn't a question (per se) about probability, rather about formulating a linear programming problem. The probability domain simply provides some of the constraints used to solve the problem.

Also in your example, the question implies perfect measurement of uniquely distinguished results, so if they say that a 5 was rolled on the dice, then you can be certain, however if they say the tree was 5m tall (and to have say a distribution listing 4.95m, 5.0m, 5.05m) you could expect that it was simply round off... a much more tricky problem..

For this simple single sample example, the likelihood of one distribution to the other is the ration of the individual distribution probabilities (because most of the possibles are multiplied by zero, the number of samples with that value).

When you have multiple results in the sample, you get a 'proper' linear programme, again multiplying out the number of occurences by the probabilities in the individual distributions, and then comparing the overall numbers (usually with a little differentiation...)

Philip Oakley

I'm not quite certain of what you meant, but I did something and will turn this problem along with the others in shortly. The first two problems weren't OK. This one really has nothing to do with maximizing profits or revenues. My knowledge of probability is pretty limited actually.

Edit: oops I meant "were OK compared to this one" I mean all of the problems I did were about writing a linear problem that maximizes profits or revenues but this one came along and confused me.
Top Tags