cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Problem

RayMichaud
1-Newbie

Problem

Hello All;

I have a new problem with the two versions of Mathcad that I have installed on this machine (Version 11 and version 13). All of a sudden both versions will not respond to buttons, check boxes, sliders etc.. This may have been due to a registry cleaning session with CCleaner. Does anyone know how to make these controls work again. I went as far as to remove version 11 and re-install, but still no luck. I'm running vista on this machine but had the same problem on my office laptop running windows 2000. that issue want away when IT installed xp on that machine. Any thoughts are welcome.

Thanks in advance
17 REPLIES 17

Since the registry is the heart of OLE, registry cleaning can easily damage any and all components.

Do a repair install of MC11, followed by a repair install of MC13.

Thanks Tom;
Actually I tried that first. Then I did a complete remove and re-install and that did zero for the issue. I should have known better then to try and make things "better". I did a limited search on the problem and a web hit said something about a Microsoft license for OLE or something like that. I was hoping that someone out there might have stumbled over something like this before. Hate this!! When a fresh install won't work there must be some registry stuff left behind that is proving to be a problem wit a repair or re-install.
Ray..

Does OLE (with COM objects) work in other applications? If the damage is not to specific Mathad components but to the underlying OLE system, you may need a repair of your Windows installation. Possibly a refresh of OLE (there may be various versions available, it might have been updated from the base Windows install.

>...complete remove and re-install <<br> ____________________________________

What do you mean by "remove" ? Delete the Mathcad install does not do what it must. Do you mean "uninstall" ? Uninstall Mathcad is not enough: you must "evaporate". The procedure circulates for years in the collab. Once evaporated, re-install 11 from original CD and register like before. As you had two versions, you might have to evaporate 13 as well. At least you should be able to recuperate 11.

jmG

On 7/26/2009 2:29:49 PM, RayMichaud wrote:
>Hello All;
>
>I have a new problem with the
>two versions of Mathcad that I
>have installed on this machine
>Thanks in advance

I solve same problem (Mathcad 14 eng & Mathcad 14 rus) thru using two copies of Windows on one PC.

Val
http://twt.mpei.ac.ru/ochkov/v_ochkov.htm
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:RayMichaud)

I use CCleaner reasonably regularly, and have never had a problem.

When you clean the registry with CCleaner it asks if you want to do a backup. You didn't do that?

Richard

Hello;
Actually I did save a copy. Through regular use, I managed to convince myself that nothing bad happened as a result of the cleaning, so after several weeks, I dumped the backup copy. That is why I'm not even sure that CCleaner did the dastardly deed! I don�t use these controls very much, but I do admit that they do come in handy in certain instances. I�ll keep pluggin along and searching the web for some insight on the problem. One thing is for sure, I can�t be the only one in the world who has experienced this problem. Mathcad has zero on the issue.
Thanks for helping here�
Ray�
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

I never dump the backup copy. I'm too paranoid!

I think maybe it wasn't CCleaner that did it though, because it's never done that to me. Actually, it's never caused a single problem that I know of.

Famous last words...!

Richard

>Mathcad has zero on the issue.<<br> ________________________________

It has all what's needed in their former procedure:

1. evaporate Mathcad(s).
2. install Mathcad from CD, register.

If you want the procedure, ask for. I'm saying that because too many visitors prefer getting lost in conjectures after having been wisely advised but don't conform (don't go by the rules). XP-SP2 family does not need "cleaners". In over 2� years of my XP and > 5000 hrs of Mathcad sessions = 0 cleaning, my Mathcad works like day 1 !

jmG

Hello All;
Thanks for all the help so far. This one is driving me nuts. I have just confirmed that CCleaner did not bash my MathCAD functionality. I ran CCleaner on this office laptop and fixed all registry ISSUES without regard to what the reported issues were and have been running both versions of MathCAD just fine. and every control works just fine. (I did a backup of the Changes first "just in case").

So now I'm not sure what the heck happened at all. Could one of Microsofts updates have done something bad? I keep current on all my operating systems just for the sake of the security updates etc..

To the gent who offered to send the procedure for 'evaporation'. I would actually love to get your procedure. I'm betting that what you are offering is perhaps what I actually did do. I must admit however, that your wording is confusing to me a little. I would appreciate your procedure.

BTW..

For those of you who are curious. The company is running version 11 here but I have purchased my own copy of MathCAD because I moonlight a bit. I've been running parallel copies since mathcad 2000.

Thanks to all in advance....
Ray
ELSID
4-Participant

Ray,
I believe your "issue" lies with Vista.
++I'm running vista on this machine

MathCAD 11 and 13 were NOT designed for Vista and it's nuisances. If you recently updated Windows and previously did not have issues, then that may have been the culprit. Follow jmG's advise and "evaporate" the install.
http://collab.mathsoft.com/read?52127,11e#52127

BTW, I am running 14 M020 on my personal laptop under Vista because I heard about the incompatibilities with Vista.
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:ELSID)

On 7/27/2009 2:13:15 PM, ElSid wrote:
>MathCAD
>11 and 13 were NOT designed
>for Vista and it's nuisances.

That's a good point too. Nothing prior to version 14 M020 was designed to run under Vista. I have also never tried CCleaner under Vista (since I don't have Vista!), and have no idea what it may do to registry entries for software that has known issues running under Vista.

Richard
ELSID
4-Participant
(To:RichardJ)

I have run CCleaner on my Vista laptop with MathCAD 14 M020 install with no apparent effects.

On 7/27/2009 2:38:01 PM, ElSid wrote:
>I have run CCleaner on my
>Vista laptop with MathCAD 14
>M020 install with no apparent
>effects.

Vista is reputed "junk"
XP_SP2 is reputed "self cleaning".

jmG

>To the gent who offered to send the procedure for 'evaporation'. I would actually love to get your procedure. I'm betting that what you are offering is perhaps what I actually did do. I must admit however, that your wording is confusing to me a little. I would appreciate your procedure. <<br>
Mathacad 11, same procedure applies to XP_SP2.
Before opening your Mathcad, connect on the web.

Once installed, open your Mathcad and if it is a registered copy it will ask for registering "Now ?" YES.

The last time I had to evaporate/install, I didn't uninstall the packs, it installed correct. The overall procedure takes about 20 minutes, worth spending.

jmG
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

On 7/27/2009 1:59:11 PM, RayMichaud wrote:

> I've been running
>parallel copies since mathcad
>2000.

You are running 2000 on the same machine as later versions? That's not supported, and could cause conflicts in the registry. Only versions 11 and later are designed to run on the same machine.

Richard

On 7/27/2009 2:27:54 PM, rijackson wrote:
>On 7/27/2009 1:59:11 PM, RayMichaud
>wrote:
>
>> I've been running
>>parallel copies since mathcad
>>2000.
>
>You are running 2000 on the same machine
>as later versions? That's not supported,
>and could cause conflicts in the
>registry. Only versions 11 and later are
>designed to run on the same machine.
>
>Richard

Thus justifying to "evaporate" Mathcad/Mathsoft.
Maybe re-install Windows, a working version !

Top Tags