cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Programming

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

Programming

Hi

Could anybody give me a clue on how to solve the problem below? I am rationing a certified yield stress by the factors denoted as (Average).

You can see that Answer0 is used to calculate Answer 1, which is used to calculate Answer 2�� etc.

The answers are correct but the workings look untidy, I would prefer if possible to calculate them in a program.

Thanks in advance.
Mike Armstrong
13 REPLIES 13

Do you mean something like the attached (two options included - one uses a listbox, the other a programming structure)?

stv

Hi
Cheers for the response.

The alternative method which you proposed was nearly right.

The ratio�s which you have calculated are correct. I then need the average of those ratio�s and then multiply the certified yield stress by each of the average ratio�s in order.

I have calculated the correct yield values in my first attachment but it looks messy.

Regards,

Mike

Like attached (if I've understood correctly).

stv
MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:alnstevens)

It�s quite hard to explain so I have attached my long winded worked example.

You can see that I have taken the average of the yield strength�s and then applied them to the certified yield stress.

It�s the latter part of the spreadsheet my original question was relating to.
Regards,

Mike

Can't download your latest file. Perhaps something to do with the % signs?

stv
MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

Got it! See attached.

stv
MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

Right on the button.

Cheers for the help.

Mike

Hi���again

I know you helped me before but if you could find the time to have a look at my effort of programming for the attached data.

I have used Mathcad for 2 years now and this is the first time I have attempted to use this sort of programming, if you could combine to suggest a better method of producing the spline�s for the graph it would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Mike

1. No need to cross post. You can delete your own extra.

2. Splines is such an immense topic in Mathcad that it deserves to be threaded by "splines (something)".

jmG

The spline bit looks ok, but the three versions can be programmed more efficiently as one - see attached. I'd also be very wary of values extrapolated beyond the ends of your data range.

stv

The lspline will support >...extrapolated beyond the ends of your data range < like the calculated vector of the Odesolve... even so, the red message "Solution outiside the argument". For surface plots, smoothing is generally desired if the data don't come out of functions.

1. Fourier mask smoothing
2. Fourier circular convolution
3. smoothing loess
4. smoothing ksmooth
5. polyline smoothing

are some suggestions as demonstrated in the attached, applied on the Z matrix level. In the case(s) the X, Y planes are not grids, smoothing might apply on those planes as well. What I'm saying by reverse conclusion is that the data should be first smoothed if necessary, then splined afterward, whereas cubic splines interpolate cubic between the points.

If your 3 spline project does not concern surface, please discard.

jmG
MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:ptc-1368288)

That loop works great thanks for the help.

Mike
Top Tags