cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Queries in Mathcad

svaidya
3-Visitor

Queries in Mathcad

1.       Long formulas : Sometimes there are formulas that exceed the width of the page and encroach into the next page. Is there a provision to insert multiline formulas?

2.       Value substitution : Is there a provision (other than explicit keyword) to show substitution of values for each variable in a formula before showing final answer?

3.       Explicit keyword : When explicit keyword is used, Mathcad shows metric values (SI) values multiplied by conversion factors even if the Unit system in Worksheet options is U.S.

4.   Units for output variables in controls : Is there a way to assign units to the output variables in the script of the control itself? We have to redefine this output variable in the next line to assign it a unit.

6.       Selection retrieval in controls like listbox, checkbox etc. : Selection of a particular item in any controls (listbox, checkbox etc.) is lost when the worksheet is closed and opened again. Is there a provision to retrieve this selection without using metadata?

11 REPLIES 11

Mathcad 15 or, sorry, Prime?

Werner_E
25-Diamond I
(To:svaidya)

Sanket Vaidya wrote:

1.       Long formulas : Sometimes there are formulas that exceed the width of the page and encroach into the next page. Is there a provision to insert multiline formulas?

No, not in Prime. There was a rudimentary way by pressing ctrl+Enter in Mathcad (15 and below) which at least worked for sums in formulas you type in yourself. There is no way to show the results (e.g. of symbolic evals) in a multiline display.

2.       Value substitution : Is there a provision (other than explicit keyword) to show substitution of values for each variable in a formula before showing final answer?

No, and "explicit" does not always work the way you would like it to do.

Guess you know that you can hide the keywords and make the symolic eval arrow look like an equal sign?

3.       Explicit keyword : When explicit keyword is used, Mathcad shows metric values (SI) values multiplied by conversion factors even if the Unit system in Worksheet options is U.S.

Thats because when you use explicit, you are using the symbolic processsor (muPad). Its not aware of units and treats them as unknown variables (it does not simplify mm*m to m oder ohm*A to V. It uses the units which Mathcad stores along with the values which seems to be SI, independent from the chosen unit system, which is used for display by the numeric evaluation.

4. Units for output variables in controls : Is there a way to assign units to the output variables in the script of the control itself? We have to redefine this output variable in the next line to assign it a unit.

Not sure but I don't think thats possible. Now I realize that you are talking of Mathcad 15 (or below) and not Prime.

5. is missing? 😉

6.       Selection retrieval in controls like listbox, checkbox etc. : Selection of a particular item in any controls (listbox, checkbox etc.) is lost when the worksheet is closed and opened again. Is there a provision to retrieve this selection without using metadata?

Take a look at Richards collections here:

Saving the state of controls.zip

You may also be interested in

Extra Components and Controls

and

Date Calendar and Time functions.mcd

EDIT: Sorry, I just read that you want it to be done w/o metadata. So I guess the answer is no.

Regards, Werner

Thanks werner..

Currently I am working on Mathcad 15.

We are going to replace Mathcad 15 with Mathcad 3.1 in next week.

I still have 2 more questions to be resolved

1. Metadata values between different Mathcad sheets (modules) liked through “insert reference” command : Due to large size of calculation, we divide calculation in number of files (modules). Each module interacts with others by inserting references of other files using command : “Insert” menu -> “Reference”. So any change in value of a particular variable is reflected in other modules. However, certain modules have “Listbox” & “Checkbox” controls. To enable retrieval of selected item in listbox after closing and re-opening a particular sheet, we are storing the selection index in “metadata” so that selected index can be retrieved using value of that metadata when the file is re-opened.

Now these values of metadata have to be manually fed in all the other modules every time there is a change in the listbox selection of a particular sheet.

Is there a way for any module to automatically pick values of metadata from sheets referenced using “insert reference” command?

2. Controls (Listbox, Checkbox, textbox etc.) : Are these controls available in Mathcad prime versions as well?

and Anyone could please tell me what are the advantages of Mathcad Prime 3.1 over Mathad 15?

Sanket Vaidya написал(а):

Is there a way for any module to automatically pick values of metadata from sheets referenced using “insert reference” command?

See please http://twt.mpei.ac.ru/ochkov/Thermal-Eng-10-2014.pdf

and Anyone could please tell me what are the advantages of Mathcad Prime 3.1 over Mathad 15?

See pls

Werner_E
25-Diamond I

OMG! My condolences!

So you can immedeatly forget about thinking of controls and scripted components as they are not available in Prime.

Didn't you testdrive Prime before deciding to jump an THAT bus? You should have done so or should do now. You will have to rewrite a lot of your worksheets, I guess.

IMHO Prime has too much drawbacks and disadvantages and is missing too many feature we are used to.

Prime has a few advantages but the few benefits do not outweigh the disadvantages.

You will find a lot of discussions in this forum where people talk about the changes they face when using Prime - most of the times you will read complaints.

Its a sad story.

Thanks werner..

Better not replace but use together!

Replace after 2-3 years!

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

No. However, there is a way to save the state of controls in a referenced worksheet. See here: Saving the state of controls.zip

2. Controls (Listbox, Checkbox, textbox etc.) : Are these controls available in Mathcad prime versions as well?

There are no controls in Prime.

Prime has a few advantages over MC15, but not many. The principle one is that arrays can have mixed units. There is a lot missing from Prime though, so if you are using "advanced" features such as controls you are going to have a very rough transition.

1_018_All_Values_Step_by_Step.png

But better for all  Mathcads and me

Sometimes we can do so:

4.  Units for output variables in controls : Is there a way to assign units to the output variables in the script of the control itself? We have to redefine this output variable in the next line to assign it a unit.

I do it on my Mathcad Server with Webcontrols.

Read more pls 7

One example:

http://twt.mpei.ac.ru/MCS/Worksheets/g-h-psi.xmcd

Announcements

Top Tags