cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community email notifications are disrupted. While we are working to resolve, please check on your favorite boards regularly to keep up with your conversations and new topics.

Reminder of an almost forgotten sentence ;-)

AlfredFlaßhaar
13-Aquamarine

Reminder of an almost forgotten sentence ;-)

Given an ellipse E in the Cartesian coordinate system with the semi-axes a > b and the equation

x^2/a^2 + y^2/b^2 = 1. A chord AB of fixed length s < 2*b is considered. Let the point P be fixed on the chord so that the chord is divided into the segments AP = u and PB = v, i.e. u + v = s. The points A and B should now be moved on the periphery of the ellipse in a rotational direction while maintaining the chord length s and its pitch P in u and v. During this movement, point P describes a closed curve K.

The content of the annular area bounded by E and K is sought.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I believe that Holditch was only specifically concerned with an ellipse and the case s=(a+b)/2 = u+v with u=v. I am not sure about that, though.

Its surprising that the area does not depend on the type or size of convex, closed curve used and is always  u*v*pi.

Good luck for dealing with the more general case using Mathcad!

I am not sure if the symbolics in MC14 or MC15 is capable enough to deliver a general proof.

EDIT: Actually I found (and still find) it hard to implement a way to find numerical solutions for the new curve created.

ani-ell1.gifani-ell2.gifani-ell3.gifani-gen1.gifani-gen2.gifAni-crd1.gif

Some nicer animations can be found here: Courbe de Holditch

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

You are talking about Hamnet(t) Holditch's theorem from 1858!?

Yes, that is the “betrayed” result. The only thing missing is the symbolic solution. When I heard about this many years ago, I was impressed by the simplicity in the general case - a convex ring-like surface is easily calculated after sweeping through a tangent path.

I believe that Holditch was only specifically concerned with an ellipse and the case s=(a+b)/2 = u+v with u=v. I am not sure about that, though.

Its surprising that the area does not depend on the type or size of convex, closed curve used and is always  u*v*pi.

Good luck for dealing with the more general case using Mathcad!

I am not sure if the symbolics in MC14 or MC15 is capable enough to deliver a general proof.

EDIT: Actually I found (and still find) it hard to implement a way to find numerical solutions for the new curve created.

ani-ell1.gifani-ell2.gifani-ell3.gifani-gen1.gifani-gen2.gifAni-crd1.gif

Some nicer animations can be found here: Courbe de Holditch

Thanks for sharing this and helping.

You are right, I have seriously underestimated this task. Unfortunately, my programming skills are not sufficient to present a solution here. Therefore, I must restrict myself to the theoretical remainder. I was impressed by the thinking behind Holditch's theorem - a tangent sweeps out a general ring of areas, the content of which is calculated using a simple formula. Somehow this fits into the classic line of Guldin and Cavalieri, which leads in the direction of integral calculus.

Top Tags