cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Save Mathcad 5.0 to 4.0

Joop
4-Participant

Save Mathcad 5.0 to 4.0

Dear all,

I started with Mathcad 5.0, but found that I cannot read the 5.0 files with Mathcad 4.0. Is there any possibility to convert the 5.0 files to 4.0?

regards,

Joop Baltussen

6 REPLIES 6
Werner_E
24-Ruby V
(To:Joop)

@Joop wrote:

Dear all,

I started with Mathcad 5.0, but found that I cannot read the 5.0 files with Mathcad 4.0. Is there any possibility to convert the 5.0 files to 4.0?

regards,

Joop Baltussen

Silly as it may sound, but the answer is "no".

PTC in its wisdom (some may say - inability) has decided that their different versions should be as incompatible as possible. Probably they see it already as a big concession that Prime 5 can read Prime 4 files.

While its normal in the software world that a version 4 can't read a version 5 file, its really strange and stupid that a version 5 is not able to save a file in version 4 format (omitting all feature which would be new to version 5 by doing so).

So the only way to make a P5 file readable in P4 is to retype it or to have P4 and P5 installed both on a machine. Then you can open the file in P5 and copy it to an empty sheet which you open/create in P4.

But it wouldn't be PTC if this would work flawless in one go - you would have to copy every region by its own, region after region ....maybe PTC means "Pretty Taxing Company" ?

Joop
4-Participant
(To:Werner_E)

Dear Werner,

thanks for your response. I was already afraid that this would be the answer, but it is good to know. Or bad,... depending on your position. A warning would have been appropriate at least. I upgraded because it is still possible in my contract, actually I did not see much of a difference between 4.0 and 5.0.

I already tried the copying, but that was not very successful either.

Anyway thanks for you help

Joop

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

@Joop wrote:

actually I did not see much of a difference between 4.0 and 5.0.

Aside from the money that was in your account, and is now in theirs Smiley LOL

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:RichardJ)

"Aside from the money that was in your account, and is now in theirs Smiley LOL"

I'm afraid... not even that, since "I upgraded because it is still possible in my contract".

The actual loss of money occurred in a previous stage....

Luc

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

Well, you're not limited to copy region by region.

You can create an Area in your Prime 5 sheet, copy (in one or a few strokes) all your regions into that Area, then collapse it and copy it as a single item over to a sheet open in Prime 4 (which, as Werner points out must be installed on the same machine).This works often, but no guarantee... (Beware, it's PTC sofware !) it may also lead to Prime 4 crashing. So be that your stuff works in Prime 4 before ditching the Prime 5 stuff....!

Success!
Luc

Joop
4-Participant
(To:LucMeekes)

Hi Luc,

I'm going to try this next time,

thanks for the reply,

Joop

Top Tags