cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Scalar, Matrix and "No solution was found".

lvl107
20-Turquoise

Scalar, Matrix and "No solution was found".

Hello, Everyone.

(1).PNG

The question is : solve, matrix X with matrix equation ?

Thanks in advance for your time and help.

Best Regards.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Werner_E
24-Ruby V
(To:lvl107)

Again:

1) Check my example with x=+-1 above. You see that Mathcad is doing wrong and thats why it gives you -.1806/359. Also in your example Mathcad simply is doing wrong, thats all. Additionally Mathcad thinks that a 1x1 matrix equals a scalar, which is wrong, too..

2) What do you think is 1/X, when X is a 1x1 matrix? You can't rely on Mathcad with this question!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Werner_E
24-Ruby V

Mathcads symbolics will solve for scalar variables but not for matrix variables.

Furthermore the program is quite buggy and you can get quite astonishing wrong results when you put your expressions in 1x1 matrices:

????

lvl107
20-Turquoise
(To:Werner_E)

Thanks for your response, Werner.

lvl107
20-Turquoise

Sorry, my question should be :

(2).PNG

And how many solutions ?

Best Regards.

Werner_E
24-Ruby V

>   And how many solutions ?

Not a single one!

How would you define an expression like

What is the "result" in your opinion. How do you define 1 divided by a matrix or even a heavily nested matrix like yours??

While being mathematical nonsense, if you divide a scalar by a matrix, Mathcad will switch to vectorization automatically. But is this really what you intend?

lvl107
20-Turquoise

(3).PNG

Best Regards.

Werner_E
24-Ruby V

Again:

1) Check my example with x=+-1 above. You see that Mathcad is doing wrong and thats why it gives you -.1806/359. Also in your example Mathcad simply is doing wrong, thats all. Additionally Mathcad thinks that a 1x1 matrix equals a scalar, which is wrong, too..

2) What do you think is 1/X, when X is a 1x1 matrix? You can't rely on Mathcad with this question!

Top Tags