cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Selective Linking to Another Mathcad Sheet

coberg
6-Contributor

Selective Linking to Another Mathcad Sheet

I have two Mathcad sheets that I am using to design a structural member.  The reason I have two sheets is for two different design cases that have different loading.  Although there are two different design cases, the member geometry input for both cases needs to be the same.  I was wondering if there was a way to selectively link only certain inputs/ variables from one sheet to another?  My initial thought was that if you could initiate a link then then end/break it partway through the sheet, that may work, but I am not sure.  Due to different loading inputs the output will change, thus if I cant end/break the link, I will get duplicate output variable errors.  Thank you!  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

One way to handle it is:-

Create three sheets.  One for the geometry, one each for the load cases.

Include the two load cases as references on the geometry sheet after the geometry is input.

Cheers

Terry

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Hi,

One way to handle it is:-

Create three sheets.  One for the geometry, one each for the load cases.

Include the two load cases as references on the geometry sheet after the geometry is input.

Cheers

Terry

coberg
6-Contributor
(To:terryhendicott)

Terry,

Thank you for the suggestion.  I didn't think of that, but that should work and solve my problem.  Thank you!

coberg
6-Contributor
(To:terryhendicott)

Terry,

To follow up on your suggestion.  I finished up my calculations yesterday but had to break the sheets up more .  For my situation I ended up having 4 sheets to do the design of the member:

• Inputs Sheet -This defined all the geometry variables, equations, and functions to be used for the design. 
  • Case 1 Loading - This sheet evaluated for the case 1 loading situation using the variables, equations, and functions from the referenced inputs sheet.
  • Case 2 Loading - This sheet evaluated for the case 2 loading situation using the variables, equations, and functions from the referenced inputs sheet.
  • Design Sheet - This sheet actually performed all the design checks for the members.  Both the Inputs and Case 1 and 2 loading sheets.

Originally I wanted to reference the two loading case sheets back into the first sheet to do all the design checks, but this ended up resulting in a bunch of duplicate variable definition warnings due to the circular referencing. I wasn't sure at first if a reference in one sheet would pull through another reference, which it appears it does, thus I broke the design checks out into its own sheet to avoid all the variables being tagged as being duplicates.

Thank you again for your suggestion!

Carl 

-MFra-
21-Topaz II
(To:coberg)

Hi,

A few weeks ago I presented some examples regarding the reference files (M15), I think they are very useful to understand the procedure and the rules to be respected. Search for "Pulses & Waveforms" or "Use of reference files.".

Top Tags