cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Show mathematical signs after using Explicit function

jkrulak-2
1-Newbie

Show mathematical signs after using Explicit function

Dear All,

I apologise in advance if this topic had been solved before but I can't find it anywhere.

I have a small issue with shoving a correct way of mathematical signs after using explicit. I attached a cad file for better explanation.

Many thanks!

Kind regards,

Jan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I guess you used A. instead of A so to not overwrite built.in units and/or constants.

The only difference I see between the expression you already created and the one you say you would like to see is the multiplication "x" in "0.5m x 0.5m". Or am I missing something?

I guess its a typo you wrote 0,50 m (instead of 0,5 m) and its also a typo you wrote 200kPa instead of 2000kPa, right?

As FM I find the use of "x" for multiplication a bit confusing and misleading as the same character is used for the cross product of two vectors.

You can change the default for the multiplication sign from the menu -> Tools -> Worksheet Options -> Display -> Multiplication.

Unfortunately this also changes the (implicit) multiplication sign between value and unit as well and is sure not what you want to see:

You can change the display of the multiplication via right click menu for definitions you type (you have done that in your sheet when you typed A x B) and for results obtained by numerical evaluation. Unfortunately thats not possible to do in results obtained by symbolical evaluation.

So I guess it will not be possible to get that multiplication "x" in the symbolic result (if thats really what you are after) unless you accept the same character between value and unit (which I think you won't).

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
-MFra-
21-Topaz II
(To:jkrulak-2)

But A and B are not vectors, why did you use the vector product? Why do you write A. and B.?

product.jpg

Dear F.M.

It's just an example what I wont to say. Please see below what I'd like to see in my example because I think you have different settings.Untitled.png

Jan

-MFra-
21-Topaz II

...something similar?

product.jpg

Unfortunately no.

Basically, I need to show all mathematical signs as shown in my example after using explicit function.

Jan

-MFra-
21-Topaz II

I'm sorry but I do not get it.

Wait for the response of other members of the community.

I guess you used A. instead of A so to not overwrite built.in units and/or constants.

The only difference I see between the expression you already created and the one you say you would like to see is the multiplication "x" in "0.5m x 0.5m". Or am I missing something?

I guess its a typo you wrote 0,50 m (instead of 0,5 m) and its also a typo you wrote 200kPa instead of 2000kPa, right?

As FM I find the use of "x" for multiplication a bit confusing and misleading as the same character is used for the cross product of two vectors.

You can change the default for the multiplication sign from the menu -> Tools -> Worksheet Options -> Display -> Multiplication.

Unfortunately this also changes the (implicit) multiplication sign between value and unit as well and is sure not what you want to see:

You can change the display of the multiplication via right click menu for definitions you type (you have done that in your sheet when you typed A x B) and for results obtained by numerical evaluation. Unfortunately thats not possible to do in results obtained by symbolical evaluation.

So I guess it will not be possible to get that multiplication "x" in the symbolic result (if thats really what you are after) unless you accept the same character between value and unit (which I think you won't).

Dear Werner,

Thank you for the confirmation that it is not possible to do it.

Regards,

Jan

Top Tags