cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Solving a Complex Equation in MathCad

swise
1-Newbie

Solving a Complex Equation in MathCad

Trying to solve this equation in mathcad prime, i just cant get the form right, i keep getting an error when I know it should be a simple operation.

It has values S (total distance traveled) and X (horizontal distance traveled) known, trying to solve for the max value of H (height) of an object in parabola projection.

I keep setting the variables, guess for the H variable, and then try to solve the equation using Find(H) or Maximize(H) doesnt work. I'll attach an image of the problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

18 REPLIES 18
Werner_E
24-Ruby V
(To:swise)

Please post your Mathcad worksheet to show what you have done so far.

swise
1-Newbie
(To:Werner_E)

Here is what I have

prob3.25.PNG

Werner_E
24-Ruby V

Why don't you post the sheet? Upper right - Use advanced editor.

IRstuff
3-Visitor

Offhand, it looks like a units mismatch between the first expression and the second. The first expression looks like it results m^2, while everything else results in m

TTFN

Seems the unit error is in the logarithm. Units inside simplify to meter but you can take the logarithm of a dimensionless expression only.

Werner Exinger wrote:

Seems the unit error is in the logarithm. Units inside simplify to meter but you can take the logarithm of a dimensionless expression only.

One example in Mathcad - Entropy ideal gas calculation:

15-3-Entropy.png

Plot please a X-Y graph and see where the curve crosses the x axe

FredLusk
12-Amethyst

Samuel…

In your constraints equation, there appears to be a missing operator (plus sign?) between X^2 and 16*H^2 under the square root. In addition, you need to divide the term inside the natural log by meters so that you're taking the ln of a scalar.

Fred

In addition, you need to divide the term inside the natural log by meters so that you're taking the ln of a scalar.

Or again the formula is false and there is a second missing plus sign between H and the root.

DenisJaunin
15-Moonstone

Hello Werner,

Even if we write the equation with all the signs, there is always no good result.

Always the message on non-compatible units.

Cordially.

Denis

Even if we write the equation with all the signs, there is always no good result.

Always the message on non-compatible units.

Really?

I just added the two plus signs we wrote about and it works. Not sure if thats the equation Samuel is trying to solve but it looks reasonable. Maybe Sanuel is no longer interested anyway, finally he did not respond until now.

SolveEqu1.png

DenisJaunin
15-Moonstone

Hello Werner,

Oops, sorry, it's me, I made a mistake, I put a sign "x" instead of a "+" between H e root.

But also if we do not leave S and X and the last H block, you do not get the solution.

For Samuel, actually it is not income??, It allowed us to study this case and have the same result.

Cordially.

Denis.

But also if we do not leave S and X and the last H block, you do not get the solution.

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean!?

DenisJaunin
15-Moonstone

Hello Werner,

Here the image representation for the variable S and X inside or outside the box of solution.

Cordially.

DenisEQ_1.jpgEQ_2.jpg

Mathcads variables are case sensitive!

The solve block should work with X:=15m being inside, too.

Look at the error message - it tells you that X (uppercase) is undefined.

I had the definitions of X and S at the outside because they are no guess values and so have nothing to do with the solvblock itself. They just have to be defined.

After all it is in any case more versatile and useful to turn the solve block into a function:SolveEqu2.png

DenisJaunin
15-Moonstone

Hello Werner,

Thank you for this very comprehensive demonstration.

I hope it will satisfy the question of Samuel.

Cordially.

Denis

DenisJaunin
15-Moonstone

Hello, Samuel,

Do you have another source for the form of the attachment, because even with other software it is not H.

Do you have any worksheet to send.

As you noted Arbiter, the units are not consistent.

Cordially.

Denis

Top Tags