cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Solving equation with multiple terms

FabioPereira
1-Newbie

Solving equation with multiple terms

I have an equation with multiple terms. Is there a way to solve it for multiple terms? i.e: 3 terms would be on the left side and everything else on the right side?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

It is not possible to put only the terms you specify on the left, and everything else on the right.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
PhilipOakley
5-Regular Member
(To:FabioPereira)

I you post a sample worksheet showing the problem you have, then it would make it easier to see what the problem is.

A good attempt is sufficient.

If it is already a long worksheet, then trim out the irrelevant so we can see "the wood for the trees"

finally, post both in your native version e.g. V15-12, and a copy saved as V11, as the latter has the wider community.

You should find some example of solving in the help and tutorial files. Try adapting some of thenm if tou have difficulty geting started with your 'good attempt'

Philip

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

First response would be yes, but a worksheet is required.

Mike

Thanks,

Here is the file with the equation.

It is not possible to put only the terms you specify on the left, and everything else on the right.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

Richard is correct.

Mike

You are all correct. Thanks, I rearranged my equations and found the solution (by hand). I am still interested in learning how to do that though. So on the equation above, as an example, if you replace the '-' sine by a '*', how would that equation solve?

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

You are all correct. Thanks, I rearranged my equations and found the solution (by hand). I am still interested in learning how to do that though. So on the equation above, as an example, if you replace the '-' sine by a '*', how would that equation solve?

Do you mean your original sheet?

Solved for what?

Mike

The original sheet and solve for the terms listed.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

Something like thge attached?

Solve it symbollically.

Mike

It's interesting that it even allows you to do that. What do you think it has actually solved for?

(the answer is RTH, but I have no idea why it picked that particular variable out of the list)

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:RichardJ)

It's interesting that it even allows you to do that. What do you think it has actually solved for?

Actually re-looking at it, nothing.

http://communities.ptc.com/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/38-1286-6353/Duh.gif

Mike

Top Tags