cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Solving for any one Variables in a Single Engineering Equation Like HP Calculator HP Solver

Ben_Hagler
6-Contributor

Solving for any one Variables in a Single Engineering Equation Like HP Calculator HP Solver

I have enter many equations into a  folder on my HP Calculator and solve problems by jumping from equation to equations one at a time.  I provide a value for all variables in the equations expect one and solve for the unkown by selecting the SOLVE command.

For example:

Power=Flow*TDH*SG/(3960*Eff)

The HP solver provides a list of all varialbles:

Power, Flow, TDH, SG, EFF:  Enter any (4) and solve for the latter.

I would like to enter the equation into MathCad Prime 6.0: and solve for any one of the unknown.

Please Help!.

7 REPLIES 7
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:Ben_Hagler)

Like this:

LucMeekes_0-1615453791926.png

Success!
Luc

Ben_Hagler
6-Contributor
(To:LucMeekes)

Luc,

Thanks for you assistance.. 

I have several follow-up questions but.. I need to get this method to work.. I

I am having difficulty in getting this to work.  Not sure what I am doing wrong.

Defining Equation EQpower:=Power=Flow*TDH*SG/(3960*Eff).  ERROR:  The variable "Power" is undefined.

Ben_Hagler
6-Contributor

Can you show have to do this in MathCad Prime... I just noticed that you might have do this in MathCad and not Prime. 

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

You should not worry about the error message. The variables are numerically undefined. But the symbolic processor doesn' t mind and solves.

If you look carefully you can see that mathcad 11 also complains about undefined variables, one of them is flagged red. So there's no essential difference between Mathcad and Prime in that respect.

Success!

Luc

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

If you really cannot live with numerical errors, this should be the way out:

Define your equation similarly to the one in the Prime example; as a function:

LucMeekes_0-1615879528115.png

Success!
Luc

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

Or, numerically, in Prime:

LucMeekes_0-1615459405740.png

Success!
Luc

Ben_Hagler
6-Contributor

I got this to work...and understand it.  Thanks... the root command should work well for all my equations.

I prefer the first method because it is more transparent to a third party.  It shows the equations solved for the unknown.  It also is less confusing by passing a guess.

I have about 40 equations pump related equations in my HP 50G calculator.  I use these equations to solve problems by navigating from equations to equation solving for unknowns.  The variables are passed seamlessly from formula to formula.  This method is quick and dirty but it does not document my work.

What is the best approach for storing many equations in a  MathCad Sheets.

Randomly assemble Pre-Defined equations to a project worksheet to solve problem.

Thanks...

Top Tags