cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Static Force Equilbrium

tecirlioglu
2-Guest

Static Force Equilbrium

Hello,  I have been trying to solve this problem below using MathCAD. Yet I could not do it. Kinda stuck in here.
image.pngimage.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

You're right!  If the positions shown are equilibrium, the the problem is different.

Prime Express is strangely handicapped:

• no solve blocks
  • no symbolics

That kind of made sense, but

• the function "mean" is "a premium feature", but
  • integration and differentiation still work.

Those of us old enough to have been raised without solve blocks (hopefully) can still remember the old ways.

Thanks for the good wishes.  I'll still be around, though less vocal.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Seems like a homework problem with a good faith effort to solve. Easy way to solve with Mathcad is to use solve block to solve balance of forces. Check attached P5 worksheet or xps file.

Express will not execute solve blocks; answer to two decimals by trial and error.  Prime 4

Hi Fred,

Interesting solution to a harder problem: the figure text clearly states that "O" is the equilibrium position.

I hadn't realized that Mathcad Express is so brain dead as to exclude solve blocks. My bad; I'm sure I must have read this many times in this blog.

Best to you in your retirement. It is a shame that PTC does not offer "HobbyDabbler" licences like other software vendors. I enjoy your contributions.

Roger

You're right!  If the positions shown are equilibrium, the the problem is different.

Prime Express is strangely handicapped:

• no solve blocks
  • no symbolics

That kind of made sense, but

• the function "mean" is "a premium feature", but
  • integration and differentiation still work.

Those of us old enough to have been raised without solve blocks (hopefully) can still remember the old ways.

Thanks for the good wishes.  I'll still be around, though less vocal.

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:tecirlioglu)

Here's a solution in Mathcad 11, you should be able to read the attached file using Mathcad 15.

LM_20181022_Equilibrium1.png

LM_20181022_Equilibrium2.png

Success!
Luc

-MFra-
21-Topaz II
(To:tecirlioglu)

The layout of the system is ambiguous. In the design and analysis of a system, clear and precise design is the most important data.

rgunwaldsen
15-Moonstone
(To:-MFra-)

@-MFra- wrote:

The layout of the system is ambiguous. In the design and analysis of a system, clear and precise design is the most important data.

No offense, but this does not appear to be particularly helpful to the person with the original post.

Top Tags