cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Symbolic Fourier Transform

tpluschkell
1-Newbie

Symbolic Fourier Transform

I am trying to find the symbolic Fourier Transform of f(x). Please see the picture below for the equation. I know from hand calcs that the answer should be e^(-2*(pi^2)*s^2). Instead, I am getting the strange answer shown below. Can somebody please show me how to get the correct solution using Mathcad? Thank you in advance,

Tommy

fourierinmathcad.PNG

2 REPLIES 2
-MFra-
21-Topaz II
(To:tpluschkell)

errore  1.jpg

Two effects:

1) With the symbolic Fourier transformation, Mathcad expects a function in t (not in x) and provides the result in omega. I don't know why you want to use x and s instead, but you can do so, if you tell Mathcad that you would like to use different variables, by adding the variable names as modifiers after the key word "fourier". If you just add the x, you still get the result in omega, as was shown by FM.

It looks like your hand calculation was not correct.

2) When defining your function you used 0.5 in the exponent instead of using the square root or writing 1/2. Thats an annoying "feature" of Mathcads symbolics - whenever it encounters a decimal point in the expression, it switches to float mode.

That is the reason you see that ugly number in front (its simply (2 pi) / (2 pi )^0.5 ).

As you did not tell Mathcad that you would like to use the variable x instead of t, your function f(x) was considered constant and the transform of a constant is constant*2 pi * Delta(omega). Delta being the Dirac unit impulse.

Regards

Werner

Top Tags