cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

Symbolic Solve for Unknown Variables

PM_11858363
3-Visitor

Symbolic Solve for Unknown Variables

Hi, 

Mechanical engineering student here,

I'm trying to use MathCAD Prime 7 to solve for unknown variables in a linear equation using the symbolic solve function.

All I seem to get is the spinning yellow disc loading icon.

Can anyone help? 

I have attached the file in question.

7 REPLIES 7

Screenshot_1.jpg

Hi,

Just be patient you have done nothing wrong in your equations. Using root function is perhaps faster.

Capture.JPG

Thank you both for the reply.

Something seems off as I've let the application run for 1 hours plus and it just will not solve. The machine I'm running this on is a cad workstation with an i7 CPU so I do not believe it's due to lack of processing power.

I sent this file to colleague of mine who's workstation is the same and is running the same version of mathcad (prime 7) and he seems to be observing the same behavior.

Can I ask which versions of mathcad you are both running?

Is there anyway to troubleshoot this or view some kind of solver log file?

I have version 10 of the program.

Hi

First I used version 10 on my fast PC and it solved in a few seconds.

Went to my laptop that has a version 7 on it and the orange wheels do indeed spin.

Used the root function method and solved in version 7 in no time.

Capture.JPG

Cheers

Terry

Thanks Terry, much appreciated. I will use the root function.

Also thanks to Nick for your efforts too.

Can anyone from PTC reading this explain why this would solve on prime 10 and not 7?

Is there a maximum variable or some other limitation in prime 7?

I tried your worksheet in Mathcad Prime 9 on a Dell Latitude 5440 laptop with an i7 CPU and 16 GB of RAM.  The OS is Windows 10 Enterprise, 64-bit.

Upon opening the worksheet, F.cs took about 2 seconds to calculate (very odd because it's a simple divide by 3), but the rest of the worksheet was almost instantaneous.  I then changed a few predecessor variables to see how fast F.r and F.s calculated, and each time it was almost instantaneous.

Announcements

Top Tags