cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community email notifications are disrupted. While we are working to resolve, please check on your favorite boards regularly to keep up with your conversations and new topics.

Taylor's Series used to linearize non-linear Simple Harmonic Motion Problems

torme
4-Participant

Taylor's Series used to linearize non-linear Simple Harmonic Motion Problems

I'm taking Jason Hafner's edX course Waves and Optics https://www.edx.org/node/3261#.VF-6xfnF-So .  I've been trying to use Mathcad Prime 3.0 to solve the various problem sets.  The ability to control units automatically is a great advantage although sometimes this makes you think hard about making equations dimensionally correct.  Recently I tried to solve a problem with the symbolic "series" command.  I had mixed success.  Here's the problem.

We are taught that any problem  f(x) = mass*d2x/d2t has a hidden form -k*x = mass*d2x/d2t which is Newton's Law for Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM) of a spring.  If f(x) is non-linear, i.e., it has terms like x^2, e^x or sin(x), we can linearize it close to an equilibrium point using the Taylor's series for f(x). For SMH problems the equilibrium point is usually taken at xeq where f(xeq) = 0.

To linearize we are interested in only the first two terms of the Taylor's series:

Taylor%27s+Series.jpg

Since f(a) should equal zero, and 1! = 1, we are really interested in only f ' (a) * (x - a) , and we hope all of the remaining terms represent a negligible error.

The problem in Mathcad is that you get instead of f(xeq) = 0,f%28x%29.jpg and if you try to use symbolic "series" command to get the Taylor's series for f(x) you get a horrendous numerical expression of little use.  I gave up on the "series" command.

I found it easier just to compute f ' (xeq) .  That's all you need.  Then the desired angular frequency is sqrt((f ' (xeq))/mass) in garbage notation.

0 REPLIES 0
Top Tags