cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

The file type is not supported - Mathcad prime 7.0.0.0

VE_10201121
5-Regular Member

The file type is not supported - Mathcad prime 7.0.0.0

Hey

The last week i have been working on a Mathcad-file with som notes. But suddenly i couldn't open the file?

What is going on? 

The file is 3,82 MB so there must be some data? 

The filetype i MCDX and i use Mathcad Prime 7.0.0.0

I have attached the file as a .zip - hopefully someone can help? 

- Valdemar

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

We see here quite often complaints about corrupted Prime files. Given that Prime does not offer any kind of auto-save or backup functionality this sure is a flaw in design, to say the least.

Here is the best I could come up with. I experienced the same problem like you when I tried to open the renamed repaired zip-file. So I looked inside and noticed that the structure was missing a couple of files and directories usually present. I replaced them from a known good Prime file. Still no success. Accessing the zip file sometimes moaned about not being able to read - so I unpacked the whole archive and the archiver choked on a rather large png file. After I deleted it, the file worked. Admittedly - it was rather a bold procedure 😉

There sure are missing regions, especially pictures but maybe even more.

Maybe Luc is able to restore more info

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:VE_10201121)

No need to attach the file as a .ZIP. The .MCDX file essentially IS a .ZIP file, so zipping it does nothing.

The size of the file doesn't mean there's meaningful data in it. We've seen large .MCDX files containing nothing but 0's. With your file that's not the case, fortunately.

The .MCDX file is corrupt. Take it out of the.ZIP archive (or get the original .MCDX file) and rename it to a .ZIP file and then try to to recover that file using tools that are available on the internet. After vthe .ZIP file is repaired, you can rename it back to .MCDX and open it with Prime. You'll probably loose a few embedded pictures or so, but in general the worksheet is still intact.

Success!
Luc

Hello. 

I have the exact problem. But i cant find any online tools that works. 

Can you maybe elaborate how you do?

Nico

VE_10201121
5-Regular Member
(To:LucMeekes)

Hey Luc

Thank you very much

I tried to use an online zip repair, but when i renamed it .MCDX and tried to open it says the same as before - "The file type is not supported"

Do you have a link for a different website or have i done something wrong? 

- Valdemar

We see here quite often complaints about corrupted Prime files. Given that Prime does not offer any kind of auto-save or backup functionality this sure is a flaw in design, to say the least.

Here is the best I could come up with. I experienced the same problem like you when I tried to open the renamed repaired zip-file. So I looked inside and noticed that the structure was missing a couple of files and directories usually present. I replaced them from a known good Prime file. Still no success. Accessing the zip file sometimes moaned about not being able to read - so I unpacked the whole archive and the archiver choked on a rather large png file. After I deleted it, the file worked. Admittedly - it was rather a bold procedure 😉

There sure are missing regions, especially pictures but maybe even more.

Maybe Luc is able to restore more info

VE_10201121
5-Regular Member
(To:Werner_E)

Hey 

Thank you so much 

Way better than nothing 

- Valdemar

Top Tags