cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

The file type is not supported

BG_10572849
1-Newbie

The file type is not supported

Unable to open the file, pops up a warning that the file is not supported. 
please help

7 REPLIES 7

Which version of Prime are you using?

PTC Mathcad prime 8.0.0.0

Sorry, my first guess was that you tried to open a file of the current version P8 using an older version of Prime.

I looked at the file and its a damaged corrupt archive (Prime mcdx files are just renamed zip archives).
I was able to save some of the contents, but there seems at lot to be missing, amongst them all pictures. I could recover most pictures but wasn't able to get Prime to use them in the file. So I attach the pics in a separate archive (media.zip) along with the mcdx file.

Maybe someone else has more luck in recovering the file.

Thank you, I can easily find the photos again, it will spare me a lot of work. Do you recommend that I always use save as, so if this happens again I can get the earliest version instead of redoing everything, or is this a rare case? 

It applies to every software you may use that you always should follow some kind of backup strategy and create your own set of backups. I would recommend doing so even if the software offers some kind of autosave (as legacy Mathcad did).

Using "Save as" and perhaps adding a version number or the date/time to the file name sure is a good way to keep a set of backups. They also come handy when you followed a wrong path in developing your sheet and already have deleted parts you thought being unnecessary, which, as it turns out, would have been correct and important after all.

Nothing can replace a good and up-to-date backup.

Remember those coffee mugs that read "No backup, no mercy"?  🙂
http://cdn.dooca.store/292/products/caneca-no-backup-direita_1600x1600+fill_ffffff.jpg

BG_10572849_0-1676992831940.png-----  It also happened to another assignment I was working on yesterday, Maybe a coincidence but I saved both of them yesterday and now the same thing happened to both of them, Is there something I did wrong, and why is this happening?----

file location : C:\ProgramData\PTC\Mathcad Prime\Logs\MathcadPrime_Exception_20230221_161955.log

Build Number : 2022.03.01.001
System Culture : en-US; Current UI Culture : en-US
Architecture: x64
Application version is: PTC Mathcad Prime 8.0.0.0
Current license type is: EducationSub

Exception data:
File being opened: G:\My Drive\DTU\Vorönn 2023\41965 Wood Structures Spring 23\Verkefni\Assignement 1\Assignment 1 - Wood structure - BFG-1.mcdx
FileFormatException when processing file
System.IO.FileFormatException: File contains corrupted data.
at MS.Internal.IO.Zip.ZipIOEndOfCentralDirectoryBlock.FindPosition(Stream archiveStream)
at MS.Internal.IO.Zip.ZipIOEndOfCentralDirectoryBlock.SeekableLoad(ZipIOBlockManager blockManager)
at MS.Internal.IO.Zip.ZipArchive..ctor(Stream archiveStream, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Boolean streaming, Boolean ownStream)
at MS.Internal.IO.Zip.ZipArchive.OpenOnStream(Stream stream, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Boolean streaming)
at System.IO.Packaging.ZipPackage..ctor(Stream s, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Boolean streaming)
at System.IO.Packaging.Package.Open(Stream stream, FileMode packageMode, FileAccess packageAccess, Boolean streaming)
at Ptc.Controls.EngineeringDocument.OpenPackageStream(String fullFilePath)
at Ptc.Controls.EngineeringDocument.OpenPackage(FileLoadResult& result, String fileName, Boolean newFromDocument)
at Ptc.Controls.EngineeringDocument.OpenFileAndUpdateCWDState(String fileName)

@BG_10572849 wrote:

-----  It also happened to another assignment I was working on yesterday, Maybe a coincidence but I saved both of them yesterday and now the same thing happened to both of them, Is there something I did wrong, and why is this happening?----

Maybe you are not doing anything wrong apart from using Prime, a software that, despite a development time of a dozen years, is still not mature enough to hold a candle to its predecessor Mathcad.

We often read here in the forum about corrupted Prime files and its quite difficult to repair them and its also unclear, why saved files sometimes end up damaged.
Even with legacy Mathcad it happened occasionally (much more rarely) that corrupt files occurred. However, the error message when trying to load was much more helpful for a repair and, moreover, thanks to the autosave function available there, it was usually possible to continue working with a fairly current backup that was automatically created in the background.
Prime has no such function and I find the messages in the log unhelpful when trying to restore an executable file with as little missing as possible.

Top Tags