cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The community will undergo maintenance on October 16th at 10:00 PM PDT and will be unavailable for up to one hour.

The variable is undefined. Check that the label is set correctly. Mathcad 9.0.0.0

AP_12141614
1-Newbie

The variable is undefined. Check that the label is set correctly. Mathcad 9.0.0.0

Does anyone know why this is happening? I set all the "B" Labels to "Variable" and it still says undefined.

AP_12141614_1-1728931925515.png

I got this example from a youtube video and it gives a different error.

AP_12141614_2-1728931989270.png

This is pretty frustrating, not gonna lie. I am new to mathcad, so maybe it's something I'm doing.

Here's to hoping you can help.

Thanks

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StuartBruff
23-Emerald III
(To:AP_12141614)

Your first problem is caused by evaluation operator after the function definition.  Get rid of it and your troubles go away.

2024 10 14 C.png

I have no idea why your second problem occurs.  It works fine in Mathcad Prime 10.0 and I see no reason to suppose that it does not work in Mathcad Prime 9.  This is why experienced Mathcadders recommend that you post a worksheet with the problem in it.  There are some subtleties, such as Math Styles or Greek vs Latin characters, that don't necessarily show up very well in a screenshot.   

Ah, in fact, looking closely at your screenshot, did you use the subscript operator ctrl-minus or the index operator [ to insert the i?  A subscript in a name is just a decoration and the i forms part of the name.  An index i is a separate name.

2024 10 14 C.png

I'd post a worksheet but it wouldn't be much use to you as Mathcad Prime files aren't backward compatible.

Stuart

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
StuartBruff
23-Emerald III

Your first problem is caused by evaluation operator after the function definition.  Get rid of it and your troubles go away.

2024 10 14 C.png

I have no idea why your second problem occurs.  It works fine in Mathcad Prime 10.0 and I see no reason to suppose that it does not work in Mathcad Prime 9.  This is why experienced Mathcadders recommend that you post a worksheet with the problem in it.  There are some subtleties, such as Math Styles or Greek vs Latin characters, that don't necessarily show up very well in a screenshot.   

Ah, in fact, looking closely at your screenshot, did you use the subscript operator ctrl-minus or the index operator [ to insert the i?  A subscript in a name is just a decoration and the i forms part of the name.  An index i is a separate name.

2024 10 14 C.png

I'd post a worksheet but it wouldn't be much use to you as Mathcad Prime files aren't backward compatible.

Stuart

Ok, now when I call it separately, it works! I mean I guess it was working the whole time, I was just doing it wrong. Thank you so much!

Yeah I used the ctrl- to insert it. When I use the left square bracket [, it works now. Thanks!

StuartBruff
23-Emerald III

No problem.  It's quite common to use one when the other was intended.  I've learned to spot the slight difference in how low an index is compared toa name subscript.

Stuart

Announcements

Top Tags