cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Transferring MathCad 14 License from one Laptop to Another

ptc-3087165
1-Newbie

Transferring MathCad 14 License from one Laptop to Another

I have a new laptop with Windows 7 I am presently loading up with all my Microsoft and other programs from my old laptop. What is the least risky way of transferring MathCad 14 to my new laptop? Is it legal to load my new laptop from the upgrade disk that I have (and the original MathCad 8 Pro that I got, if necessary)? It seems like that is the least risky process vs. uninstalling MathCad first and then reinstalling.
4 REPLIES 4
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:ptc-3087165)

A lot of people have had problems running (or even installing) Mathcad under Windows 7. Search this forum, and the main Mathcad forum: http://collab.mathsoft.com/~mathcad2000 Richard

I have looked at the forums until 5 am. Aside from remarks about PTC taking "Draconian" measures to guard use of their license (inheritance of attitude from MathCad was implied). However the hope, provided in the forums was that if I phoned (evidently they prefer phone to written word for obvious reasons)the company might release an interim license to me so that I could reload MathCad from my upgrade disk and then operate it successfully. I certainly hope so, because I paid $1000 for this upgrade in January and have only operated it 2 months under PTC rules and now my old laptop is ailing and I need the program to get a new job with my new laptop. Anyway I will continue read all inputs to see if there is a benign way to transfer the existing license file dll to the new machine.
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:ptc-3087165)

The issue is not the license transfer. They have no way to know whether the previous copy of Mathcad is still on your old PC (unless you tell them that, of course). The only time it links to the license server it when it activates. You just need to tell them you are transferring to a new PC. The license file is specific to the PC (that is the point of the file), so you can't transfer it. The fact that it is Windows 7 is a different matter. There are lots of threads on both forums about problems with windows 7. Richard

I have pursued the issue of MathCad 14 Compatibility with W7 Professional by following the threads on the MathCad sites and on the MS site. MS W7 compatibility site indicates, under MathCad 14 compatibility, that discussions are underway in determining what it takes to consider MathCad 14 Compatible with W7, however no fixes or procedures are listed beyond that statement. It appears from the general website traffic that some people have been successful in getting MathCad 14 020 to work ok using W7. However, I plan to conduct some more research on this to find out what specific steps are necessary for my ACER 8571 Travelmate Timeline (a relatively new Acer product). One idea I had was running the Compatibility Advisor from Microsoft. So I first dowloaded to my old Gateway and ...it won't run at all, as far as I can see (program loads, screen shows up and then CPU activity goes back to normal, leaving me with nothing but a MS screen touting what the program will do for me (HA!). Typical MICROSOFT.
Top Tags