cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Units Not Compatible

MelB
3-Visitor

Units Not Compatible

See image below. I tried giving K_t units of "inches" but that doesn't work.

MB_10884729_0-1701892528610.png

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Werner_E
25-Diamond I
(To:MelB)

You use "A" which is not defined so Prime assumes you mean Ampere. I guess you mean it to be Ag.

But thats not the reason for the unit mismatch. Its the sum in parametheses. The two summands don't simplify to the same unit. You may give it a try and evaluate each of the two summands by its own.

We get a result if we apply the dimension 1/length to Kt, but I have no idea if this makes sense for the application you are dealing with.

Werner_E_0-1702017239062.png

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

You probably forgot to define J, or did you mean to multiply G with the unit Joule?

Anyway, its generally better to attach the worksheet, the .mcdx file, because that will alliw us to help you better.

Success!

Luc

Hi, it is hard without the file.

It seems you have not defined the value J with units.

Cheers

Terry

MelB
3-Visitor
(To:LucMeekes)

Here is the file attached. You're correct, I didn't define J initially. The current attached file has it defined but I still have the same issue.

Werner_E
25-Diamond I

You definitely should have posted the worksheet and not just a picture!

The "J" in your formula seems t be printed in black and not bold and blue, so I guess that its a variable which is defined somewhere in the sheet but not shown in your screenshot. Is that the case?

@MelB wrote:

See image below. I tried giving K_t units of "inches" but that doesn't work.

If J is defined as a unit-less scalar, then you are right that Kt should be a length and not the dimensionless value 1.0 as its defined now.

Which problem do you experience when you try to change the definition   Kt:=1.0    to   Kt:=1.0 in   ?
Click into the region, position the cursor after the 0, type "in" (without the quotes) and press enter. That should do the job.
You may press Ctrl-u after you have positioned the cursor and then type the unit "in". That way you will see immediately the small circle (implicit multiplication) between the number and the unit to be typed. But its not mandatory to do so.

MelB
3-Visitor
(To:Werner_E)

I've attached the file.

You are correct, I forgot to define J, which I've done now but still have the same issue. When I change Kt:=1.0 to Kt:=1.0in I still have the same issue.

Werner_E
25-Diamond I

You use "A" which is not defined so Prime assumes you mean Ampere. I guess you mean it to be Ag.

But thats not the reason for the unit mismatch. Its the sum in parametheses. The two summands don't simplify to the same unit. You may give it a try and evaluate each of the two summands by its own.

We get a result if we apply the dimension 1/length to Kt, but I have no idea if this makes sense for the application you are dealing with.

Werner_E_0-1702017239062.png

Announcements

Top Tags