cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

Using AGI to write formulas and "!" Symbol usable?

jmenier
2-Guest

Using AGI to write formulas and "!" Symbol usable?

So I was working really hard to be lazy and asked google gemini to make a formula for mathcad. It spit out some results, surprisingly, but it didn't work when I tried to paste it into mathcad prime 9.000. It showed some notation that I have never seen before and couldn't find any documentation saying that mathcad can even use it. See my picture attached. Anyone know how to use this "!" feature? Secondly I asked Gemini how to use its output and it said just copy and paste into mathcad, that didn't work, just pasted as a block of text, am I doing that wrong too? Any help is appreciated, or other better experiences using AGI?
gemini output.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

What the picture shows has nothing to do neither with Mathcad nor with Prime.

Guess the AI confused it with C or C++ programming.

Mathcad and Prime are not text based and so copy and paste can't work anyway.

But you may try to follow the outlined steps and redo them in Mathcad or Prime using the correct syntax, etc.

I am not sure why you think that an AI or AGI would be able to create a ready to use Prime sheet. It would need to create the necessary XML files and data structure an mcdx file consists of of the necessary information to do so is not publicly available.

If you think that your AGI should do better and need help, you definitely should ask in a forum dealing with that AGI.

An AI may be able to deliver a correct algorithm to achieve a certain goal, but at the time being you would need to type it in in Prime yourself. You can't use copy&paste as copying anything from a plain text source only creates a text region in Prime, not a live working math region.

EDIT: As for the exclamation mark (!) which the AGI just uses to preface a comment line - this syntax was already used in Fortran programs. Everything in a line after the exclamation mark is considered text comment and is ignored by the compiler. The very same functionality is the double slash (//) in C and C++ programs. Your AGI also uses this C syntax.

I am not sure where the exclamation mark would be used that way nowadays - maybe Qt, but I am nor sure.

"printf" of course is not a Prime function but is used in C(++) programs for data output.

Actually := as shown on the AGI output is actually used in Prime to assign variables. There are also some programming languages which also use this syntax. But C and C++ use the single equal sign for assignments, no double colon. So the AGI sure is mixing different syntax from various sources.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

What the picture shows has nothing to do neither with Mathcad nor with Prime.

Guess the AI confused it with C or C++ programming.

Mathcad and Prime are not text based and so copy and paste can't work anyway.

But you may try to follow the outlined steps and redo them in Mathcad or Prime using the correct syntax, etc.

I am not sure why you think that an AI or AGI would be able to create a ready to use Prime sheet. It would need to create the necessary XML files and data structure an mcdx file consists of of the necessary information to do so is not publicly available.

If you think that your AGI should do better and need help, you definitely should ask in a forum dealing with that AGI.

An AI may be able to deliver a correct algorithm to achieve a certain goal, but at the time being you would need to type it in in Prime yourself. You can't use copy&paste as copying anything from a plain text source only creates a text region in Prime, not a live working math region.

EDIT: As for the exclamation mark (!) which the AGI just uses to preface a comment line - this syntax was already used in Fortran programs. Everything in a line after the exclamation mark is considered text comment and is ignored by the compiler. The very same functionality is the double slash (//) in C and C++ programs. Your AGI also uses this C syntax.

I am not sure where the exclamation mark would be used that way nowadays - maybe Qt, but I am nor sure.

"printf" of course is not a Prime function but is used in C(++) programs for data output.

Actually := as shown on the AGI output is actually used in Prime to assign variables. There are also some programming languages which also use this syntax. But C and C++ use the single equal sign for assignments, no double colon. So the AGI sure is mixing different syntax from various sources.

Hi

Everyone accepts the results of AI as correct.

For  a doubly symmetric I section the area is AreaOfBase x 2 + Area of Web.

Check the AI from above?

Capture7.JPG 

Cheers

Terry

@terryhendicott wrote:

Hi

Everyone accepts the results of AI as correct.

No, sure not. When it comes to math most AI's are useless. The greatest nonsense is usually spouted with impeccable language. You can ask an AI for a simple proof of the Fermat theorem and you will get it - at first glance looking like a regular proof with the usual math wording etc. On second glance total nonsense.

A lengthy conversation between mathematician Joachin Escher and ChatGPT was circulating in German-language math magazines. ChatGPT could not be dissuaded from claiming that 2023 is a prime number, although it also confirmed at the same time that 2023 divided by 119 is 17. Later it claims that 2023 is the product of 43 and 47.  Funny and sad at the same time. I think I read that a group of developers at OpenAI is only busy improving ChatGPT's math skills. It will probably take a while...

Here is a link to this chat (its in German language): https://www.oemg.ac.at/Mathe-Brief/mbrief123.pdf
You may use Google translate to create an English version of it.

EDIT: Used Google translate and attached the result

Top Tags