cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

Vinculum in defined variable greyed out

JS_10177561
3-Visitor

Vinculum in defined variable greyed out

In an equation, the horizontal line between a numerator and a denominator is called the vinculum. In working my analysis using Mathcad Express V8, in some defined variables, the vinculum is greyed out while the rest is normalMathcad V8 vinculum greyed out.png.  Another defined variable right above it is normal. The font type, size, and color are both the same.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:JS_10177561)
9 REPLIES 9

Does it print greyed out, or is that an artifact of the display graphics?

I have not yet tried to print.

I found that this is a zoom issue with mathcad. 

What screen resolution do you have?

MIS laptop with 1920 x 1080 resolution. I have been working on this laptop for several months and this issue kept popping up. After posting the question, I changed the zoom and noticed that it disappeared for one variable and appeared for another. I was working at a zoom of about 115 percent. 

I will see it this problem persists on a 4K monitor and when printing.

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:JS_10177561)

OK, you found out yourself that this display glitch has to do with the (Prime) zoom factor set, and also windows zoom factor and screen resolution.

And Luc already noted that this bug is already known since very early Prime versions and obviously is still not fixed.

I reply because I have a question. You wrote

In an equation, the horizontal line between a numerator and a denominator is called the vinculum.

Are you sure about that? I'm not an English native speaker and sure eager to learn something knew. I had always used something like "fraction bar" or "fraction line" for this line, but I may be wrong. I searched, and found that Collins describes "vinculum" as "a horizontal  line drawn  above a group of mathematical  terms, used as an alternative  to parentheses  in mathematical expressions , as in x  + ̅ y  – z  which is equivalent  to x + (yz)".

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/de/worterbuch/englisch/vinculum

Thats a mathematical notation was unknown to me so far, but it looks like it has nothing to with fractions!?

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:Werner_E)

It's more like this:

LucMeekes_0-1667164339075.png

The word vinculum, (probably) stems from the latin word vinculum, which means, a.o., belt, strap, intimate embrace. The only place where Mathcad supports this usage is in roots, as in

LucMeekes_0-1667165038392.png

The vinculum is the line above  a+b. (See also here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vinculum_(symbol) )

And yes, vinculum is also used to describe the fraction line, and as such Mathcad also supports it. See https://amsi.org.au/ESA_middle_years/Year6/Year6_md/Year6_1b.html

Luc

Thanks! Its nice to still learn something new.

Top Tags