cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Wrong Mathcad Symbols

mihe63131
1-Newbie

Wrong Mathcad Symbols

When inputting symbols like +,=,or a square root sign, mathcad displays random characters of a mailbox, diskette, or thick bold lines. How can I fix this error? If anyone can help on this that would be great! Thanks!
14 REPLIES 14

Your symbol font has become corrupted. You need to reinstall it into your system/font folder.

For some strange reason, this happens sometimes.

Mona
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:mzeftel)

On 2/11/2009 2:14:20 PM, MonaZ wrote:

>For some strange reason, this
>happens sometimes.

It seems to happen amazingly often. It makes me wonder what causes it.

Richard

SteenGroðe
6-Contributor
(To:RichardJ)

Games installed on the computer...

Steen Gro�e

A conflict with other programs sounds plausible but there are no games installed on the computer experiencing this problem.

This has been logged as a symbol font issue.

Mona
PhilipOakley
5-Regular Member
(To:mzeftel)

On 2/24/2009 1:07:51 PM, MonaZ wrote:
>This has been logged as a
>symbol font issue.
>
>Mona

see http://collab.mathsoft.com/read?121638,11
for a new Unimath problem

Philip Oakley

Usually this is because your Symbol font has been previously corrupted. To fix it, reinstall the Symbol font into your Windows Fonts folder. In my XP machine, the Fonts folder is inside WNNT.

Mona

Mona, I mentioned this on another thread, but I have two laptops here at my company which are showing a square when the user tries to enter the Greek letter phi. I have noticed that Mathcad doesn't show the UniMath font in the pull-down menu. But it is in the computer's font folder, but it says it's corrupted when I try to open it. Any ideas?

The Greek letters do come from the Mathcad UniMath font, so it does sound like it's corrupted on those two computers. Can you reinstall it from the Mathcad install? I'll post it here as well.

Mona

The Greek letters do come from the Mathcad UniMath font, so it does sound like it's corrupted on those two computers. Can you reinstall it from the Mathcad install? I'll post it here as well.

Mona

For some reason, those two computers don't recognize them as valid fonts. I'm wondering, since they are both pretty new computers, if Windows has something new about it that doesn't recognize the OTF fonts (since the Mathcad fonts are the only fonts that aren't TTF).

You probably need to reboot Windows with the original registered and legal CD or both computers are scrap before delivery, but two on the same purchase is unlikely.

jmG

Here's the fix to the problem with the Greek phi symbol not showing up on new computers and not recognizing Mathcad's Unimath font. It has to do with display drivers not recognizing OpenType fonts, not a Mathcad bug.

http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/forum/index.php?s=f8178ea00de5bf87cb1bb0d44dcd02ad&showtopic=18538

I had the same problem with my new laptop with an NVidia video driver, and just applied the registry fix in the link above. It works now!

The issue is with Mathcad Unimath Font, which is an OpenType font not working correctly with NVidia cards and some ATI cards. Here's the information:

From http://www.thomasphinney.com/2008/12/no-font-instal/ :
#
# The latest problem occurs even with brand new and unmodified machines running Windows XP or possibly Vista, being unable to use Type 1 or OpenType CFF fonts, with an error message that the fonts are �invalid.� It is a video driver configuration issue, and reverting to an older (!) video driver generally solves the problem, but that�s not ideal. A few weeks ago, this problem was solved: it can be fixed with a simply registry edit. Nvidia says the problem occurs on Windows XP only, and Vista users are unaffected, but at least one Vista user has reported they had this problem and the fix resolved it. It affects multiple NVidia cards, and some (unspecified) ATI cards. The fix, posted by David Ingraham in a horribly lengthy thread on the Adobe User Forums, and in a post by �PixelNinja� on the NVidia forums is this:� start of email from HP �Good news.

Nvidia has identified the problem and provided a fix. The way it was explained to me, Windows expects the device driver to be a certain size (maximum). In this case, the nvidia driver is slightly larger than expected. A simply registry entry will resolve the issue in WinXP (the issue doesn�t occur in Vista).

To resolve the problem, do the following: [in Start/Run]
1. Open the registry editor (regedit)
2. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management
3. Add a new REG_DWORD entry called SessionImageSize with a value (decimal) of 20 [Use modify to set the value]
4. Reboot

The Type 1 fonts should now open/install without any problems.

Mona
Top Tags