cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

Zip files automatically saving

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

Zip files automatically saving

Has anybody noticed a change in the forum recently.

Zip files seems to be automatically saving to my desktop without giving me the option.

Mike

10 REPLIES 10

Sorry, it's you. I usually right click for "Save As' but just clicking brings up the Open/Save dialog

TTFN

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:IRstuff)

It's only happens on zipped worksheets. Not complaining though saves a little time.

Mike

Well, all of the files on the PTC forums are zipped, so I'm not seeing any difference.

TTFN

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

I meant when I click a pdf file its gives me the option to save or open.

Zipped files automatically download.

Mike

Google Chrome [the very last update this last Saturday] works much better. Click left on the *.PDF and Google display its own PDF [very fast] and the Google PDF has the save option +++ just like Adobe ... gorgeous ! For the Mathcad work sheets: click left, bingo it shows the open work sheet in a blank "file sheet", then double click left on the Mathcad icon , it hen takes the time to open Mathcad again as a separate instance. The last Google update is hyper fast, as fast as the click.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

Eden,

Just for curiosity, what browser are you using.

Mike

IE6 at work, when I first responded, and IE8 at home; both do the same thing. Chrome, on the other hand does go immediately into the Save dialog, but I think there's a setting for that, which is asked the first time you click on a file link. My Firefox has a dialog box asking whether I want to open it or save it, and check box for making that decision automatic and permanent.

TTFN

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

That's weird because I'm using Firefox and it's started saving automatically.

Mike

OK, Firefox is easy to deal with. Go to Tools|Options|Applications. Scroll down to "Winzip File" or whatever your association is, and select "Always ask" for the action, if that's what you want. At the minimum, you should at least check to see if it's set for "Save File"

TTFN

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

Cheers Eden.

All sorted.

Mike

Top Tags