cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

create vector from function

sstory
1-Newbie

create vector from function

I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but I could not find the answer to my question. I have defined a function t(x), and I would like to plot its results against a different domain than the one I use to generate the range or "y" values. It seems like I may have to use the function I've created to generate an array of values, then simply plot those against an array of the same dimension with the x values I would like to plot against.

In my worksheet that I've attached, I would like to evaluate my function t(x) against the domain x_i, then use those results and plot against the domain x_plot. Thanks for any assistance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Werner_E
24-Ruby V
(To:sstory)

You have to consider that range varaibles and vectors are completely different data structures even if they may (unfortunately) look alike in Prime if you evaluate them. In fact a range is no data structure at all but just an impicit loop. Stuart Bruff had written two profound articles on the subject - I had posted then recently here http://communities.ptc.com/message/238888#238888 and you may find them very useful for Prime, too.

You correctly had realized that you would need vectors to get what you want, but you had created just range variables. If you create vectors your plot will work (See attached file).

BTW - as it seems that you simply want to shift your graph to the left by half an inch, why don't you simply plot tau(x+0.5 in)? Also see attached.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Werner_E
24-Ruby V

You have to consider that range varaibles and vectors are completely different data structures even if they may (unfortunately) look alike in Prime if you evaluate them. In fact a range is no data structure at all but just an impicit loop. Stuart Bruff had written two profound articles on the subject - I had posted then recently here http://communities.ptc.com/message/238888#238888 and you may find them very useful for Prime, too.

You correctly had realized that you would need vectors to get what you want, but you had created just range variables. If you create vectors your plot will work (See attached file).

BTW - as it seems that you simply want to shift your graph to the left by half an inch, why don't you simply plot tau(x+0.5 in)? Also see attached.

This was exactly what I was looking for, thank you very much for the quick explanation and additional information to read up on. I had initially tried to simply plot tau(x+0.5in) but was for some reason unsuccesful -- I believe I had tried to perform a "vector" shift against a range variable to no avail. Thank you again.

Werner_E
24-Ruby V

You are welcome.

I had initially tried to simply plot tau(x+0.5in) but was for some reason unsuccesful -- I believe I had tried to perform a "vector" shift against a range variable to no avail.

It works using a range, too, as I showed with x.range, but if you had used x.i and tau(x.i+0.5in) you would indeed have seen the correct shifted curve, but within -0.5 and 0.5 (range x.i) and not from -1 to 0. Thats the reason you have to define the range variable to be running from -1 to 0.

But I just realize the you could have achieved what you want by using your range x.i (works with my vector x.i, too) by shifting the values at the abscissa - that may be the more natural approach as you must neither change your x-range nor your function (call):

220.04.png

Top Tags