cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community email notifications are disrupted. While we are working to resolve, please check on your favorite boards regularly to keep up with your conversations and new topics.

edit mathcad's own function

ArneClaußen
1-Newbie

edit mathcad's own function

Hello,

as you can see in my other threads, i am a very lazy person.

Actually i want to edit a Mathcad function, so that i do not need to write my own file.

(In detail i want to edit the root-function (in don't know the english name of that function , in German its "wurzel") which finds zeros.

I want to edit the function so that it breaks if the x-value is getting smaller than 0 and returns a string.)

Is that possible?

best regards

7 REPLIES 7

Do you mean something like this?

ROOT.PNG

Alan

Yes, but i would prefere , if the root functions stops before it has its exact result.

For me it is just important to know, that the Result is <0. The progress to find a zero <0 can last a long time. So i could accelerate the whole calculation, when the root function stops.

Ok. How about:

ROOT2.PNG

though I don't know if this will be any quicker for your problem!

Alan

Perfect, thanks alot.

Arne Claußen wrote:

Perfect, ...

Not quite! when there is a positive root, it's worked out twice in my previous attempt!! Better as:

ROOT2.PNG

Alan

Since functions in general can have zero to multiple roots, I don't know why you wouldn't graph it first.

You could then just look at it to see if any roots are > 0.

This would avoid some programming to check for various cases.

The Mathcad Function is not just a simple function like f(x)=x²+47 or something like that.

There are many interlaced functions like f(x,y,z)=x²+g(x,z)/3 +h(z,x)......

The technical background is, that i can calculate the workload of an complex electrical system with a 5-dimensional (a,b,c,d,e) workingrange. Therefore it is not easy to graph my function. Furthermore i want to get the result automatically. When i graph it, i have to check the curve by myself.

My functions calculates the maximum a with varying b,c,d,e so that the electical system behind that is not overloaded.

But as far as i unterstand the system and my calculation there can only be one zero between 0 and something about 1.2.

Therefore i am (at this point) comfortable with Alans solution.

Best regards

Top Tags