cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

help unit problem

kenan2
12-Amethyst

help unit problem

Hello why can I not solve this I want to solve Q to me in [m^3/hr]

5 REPLIES 5
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:kenan2)

Because you cannot add apples to pears; or subtract them.

Under the root you've got 2801.0 (unitless) and

800 *DeltaPpump/rho*g

which calculates to something like 2056 m (so this one has units!)

Either 800 must have a unit of 1/m, or 2801 must be metres; or you will not be able to subtract one from the other.

Going back to your quadratic: If Q has a unit of m^3/hr, then 0.2 must have that same unit, and 3.5 must have a unit of m^6/hr^2. Then, in order to get the equation right, DeltaPpump/rho*g must also have a unit of m^6/hr^2, which it does not have (it has a unit of m, as I stated above).

All this is under the assumption that the formulae you are working with are physically based, that is, they are derived from a sound physical understanding and modelling of the problem. If thta's not the case, and this formula is experimentally determined, such that it 'happens to work', then you are better off stripping the units.

Success!

Luc

Werner_E
24-Ruby V
(To:kenan2)

You expect Q in m^3/hr?

If the equation is physically based and unit balanced, then the coefficients must have the units you see in the picture below.

Werner_E_0-1578491373432.png

Chances are that its an empiric formula and then you should strip off the units by dividing the input values by the units, the empiric formula expects them to be in.

Werner_E_0-1578492236615.png

This is a beautiful illustration of why we need "UnitsOf".  😉

@Fred_Kohlhepp wrote:

This is a beautiful illustration of why we need "UnitsOf".  😉

"UnitsOf" does not help if the emiric formula expects a variable in a different than the default unit.

Personally I'd prefer to use "SIUnitsOf" or rather chosing the units myself for better control as shown above. Otherwise a change of the unit system of the sheet has the effect of  different results of the very same sheet.

kenan2
12-Amethyst
(To:Werner_E)

Thank you guys, I think i will use unit off in this simple situation, that to complicated 😄 

Top Tags