cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Quick Search

DanAdler
12-Amethyst

Quick Search

By default Model Managers Quick Search tool only looks at Unique ID strings. Is it possible to broaden the Quick Search to include more attributes?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

The quick search tool indeed only looks at Unique ID strings.
Reason: the Unique ID String (UIS) exists for *all* elements, whereas many attributes are specific to one or a few classes (e.g. MASTERDATA, MODEL_3D etc.)
Basically, there are a few other attributes that are common to *all* elements - in more detail: all columns of the WM_ELEMENTS table in the database.
However, you have no way to customize the quick search other than starting to learn how to develop a JAVA customization of the Model Manager U/I.
I am not aware that someone has ever tried such a customization.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

The quick search tool indeed only looks at Unique ID strings.
Reason: the Unique ID String (UIS) exists for *all* elements, whereas many attributes are specific to one or a few classes (e.g. MASTERDATA, MODEL_3D etc.)
Basically, there are a few other attributes that are common to *all* elements - in more detail: all columns of the WM_ELEMENTS table in the database.
However, you have no way to customize the quick search other than starting to learn how to develop a JAVA customization of the Model Manager U/I.
I am not aware that someone has ever tried such a customization.

Thanks for your reply Max. I think this is a real short coming of the Quick Search tool and isn't understood by many Model Manager users (at least at my site). Most believe that this is a global search which it is not.

Ahhh, I try to understand what users are dreaming of:  Some kind of "full text" search - which is available in Windchill.
However, this requires an "indexing process" to build an index for the full text search.
In Windchill, this is currently done by a software called SOLR -> https://solr.apache.org/

In Model Manager, there is nothing comparable.

Top Tags