cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Quick Search

DanAdler
12-Amethyst

Quick Search

By default Model Managers Quick Search tool only looks at Unique ID strings. Is it possible to broaden the Quick Search to include more attributes?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

The quick search tool indeed only looks at Unique ID strings.
Reason: the Unique ID String (UIS) exists for *all* elements, whereas many attributes are specific to one or a few classes (e.g. MASTERDATA, MODEL_3D etc.)
Basically, there are a few other attributes that are common to *all* elements - in more detail: all columns of the WM_ELEMENTS table in the database.
However, you have no way to customize the quick search other than starting to learn how to develop a JAVA customization of the Model Manager U/I.
I am not aware that someone has ever tried such a customization.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

The quick search tool indeed only looks at Unique ID strings.
Reason: the Unique ID String (UIS) exists for *all* elements, whereas many attributes are specific to one or a few classes (e.g. MASTERDATA, MODEL_3D etc.)
Basically, there are a few other attributes that are common to *all* elements - in more detail: all columns of the WM_ELEMENTS table in the database.
However, you have no way to customize the quick search other than starting to learn how to develop a JAVA customization of the Model Manager U/I.
I am not aware that someone has ever tried such a customization.

Thanks for your reply Max. I think this is a real short coming of the Quick Search tool and isn't understood by many Model Manager users (at least at my site). Most believe that this is a global search which it is not.

Ahhh, I try to understand what users are dreaming of:  Some kind of "full text" search - which is available in Windchill.
However, this requires an "indexing process" to build an index for the full text search.
In Windchill, this is currently done by a software called SOLR -> https://solr.apache.org/

In Model Manager, there is nothing comparable.

Announcements

Top Tags