Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having a difficult time trying to check in CAD and move to Windchill Folder

Re: Having a nightmare at hand trying to check in parts and move to Windchill Folder

Fun times are blooming, I should have started this effort on Holloween :-). Here I am selecting the complement

files that are not in the CAD Files directory

selecting+files+for+upload+excluding+the+ones+already+on+destination+folder.png

Even though I purposely deselected these files preprocessor is telling me that I cannot upload these previously unchecked files and ignored the ones I selected!

stating+the+obvious+preprocessing+files+I+did+not+select+for+upload+and+bombing+out.png

Here its adding salt to the injury telling me I have not selected anything for check in.

telling+me+nothing+was+selected+for+check+in+when+it+really+was.png

I up the ante, and say, "ok if you can't do partials I'll just wipe out all the files in the CAD folder and do a mass upload". Great idea on paper, but I get shot down again...

overseer+does+not+let+me+delete+or+purge+them.png

I understand conservative thinking, but tying me up and saying "NO" to purging and deleting to start clean is pretty painful.

It is CRAZY to think that all I am trying to do is to copy or mirror my Google Drive CAD folder into Windchill and it is giving me the third degree all over the place. This process should be seamless! BTW, that rogue part was not a part of the original file list that I was uploading to the workspace! Windchill just pulled it of somewhere while preprocessing.

It must have fallen out (in the virtual sense) of one of the assemblies when trying to upload them to the workspace! This is crazy reality :-). Notice no set screw in original Google Drive folder...

no+set+screw+part.png

No set screw while importing to Windchill

no+set+screw+while+importing+into+workspace.png

Magical screw appears out of thin air "SET_SCREW_LARGE.PRT"

Voila+set+screw+now+magically+appeared.png

Why should I have to know the structures and dependencies of all the assemblies and parts in order for me to upload them to Windchill???? Why should screws fall out of assemblies while uploading!

Thanks for your persistence and dedication to explain all this to me. Our current Google Drive depository is looking much less painful at the moment. It would be nice if PTC could make a "friendly mode" Windchill for freelance efforts like FTC and FRC.

Best Regards,

-Emil

Re: Having a nightmare at hand trying to check in parts and move to Windchill Folder

All previous details aside, how can I clear everything out in Windchill and copy my Google Drive CAD files into the CAD folder in Windchill? This is a simple and rudimentary task that would be required for FTCers and FRCers to start using Windchill for their CAD files assuming they want to use the KOP. It seems like some parts are in a default folder somewhere and the remnants are in the CAD Folder, can't delete them, can't move them.

I used this article as a reference...

http://ptc.hosted.jivesoftware.com/docs/DOC-4660

I am getting this message now when trying to copy or upload files to the CAD folder in Windchill...

EPM+message.png

Emil,

This error is on PTC. I just tried importing the Textrix KOP and have 7 ghost objects that need to be fixed. I will try to get this done ASAP and post the update on the Community until we can have it uploaded on the KOP site next week. Sorry about the mix up. We should have validated this before releasing the KOP.

ghosts.png

You noticed correctly that the set screw was not one of the original files. That is why the error exists. Windchill looks through each file to determine what is required to build it. There must be matching files - either directly or by being part of a family table that is within a file. Some assembly or drawing requires the set screw, but there is no matching file.

Creating a part file with that name and saving it in the Google drive before trying to import it would fill the gap for Windchill. When the referencing item is opened there would still be a placement or other reference error, but the existance of the part would be accounted for.

Many people do get along with only a folder to work from, but if a file is deleted or even renamed, assemblies and drawings may no longer be retrievable because what they depend on is not available.

Going back to the billion-dollar company - if you contracted with an outside firm to provide an assembly model and they sent a folder of files, wouldn't you want an automated solution to stand in the way of accepting incomplete data? As a comparison - would a bank accept a $100 deposit request with only $85 attached to it?

It is a mistake, by their own admission, that PTC did not validate the KOP. On the other hand, it is a real-life occurance that data is missed and demonstrates why tools like Windchill are used.

Hi David,

Thanks again. I completely understand your explanations of why things are not working the way I thought they would or should. I get the criticality of a incorrectly placed or missing from a rocket and the criticality of data of billion dollar companies, like Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Honeywell, Raytheon, and $100 deposits, etc. I fly considerably and I would hate the thought of a missing critical set screw somewhere in the plane, so I get that. I occassionally skydive, so I understand the price of failure modes and missing things.

Aside from Scott Morris helping us in the effort of fixing the ghost issues in the KOP (his effort and dedication to FIRST greatly admired and appreciated), is there a way I can clear the slate in Windchill and upload the KOP as it stands from scratch? Even if I need to walk on fire and kneel on glass to get there, I'd be willing to learn the nitty gritty of it. My original hope was to get our team to promote the use of Creo, Mathcad, and Windchill as part of our outreach efforts.

Right now I am stuck between modes, like an elevator stuck between floors :-). Some parts are in the CAD folder like I intended them to be, but some are in the /default (whatever that means??), there are some components in "EPM Master (whatever that means??) and I can't move forward or backwards. Could I be having issues with deleting or purging due to limited access and permissions to do so? Is there a "super user mode" that could allow me to purge and start from scratch?

David, I know I am stuck in the tree, and you have done an excellent job in explaining why and how I got stuck in it. Would you have any tips on how to get down from the tree that could help me? In earnest this is rather funny at the moment, as we all know we need to have much patience, persistence and an odd twist of sense a of humor to deal all this cool techy stuff.

HELP!!! I'M STUCK AND I CAN"T GET DOWN (As I laugh at myself while up in the tree as you rather eloquently describe why and how I got there)

Cheers,

-Emil

PS, David, thanks alot for your VERY PROACTIVE ENGAGEMENT.

Hi Scott,

Thank you so much for your intervention and help with this challenge I have run into. I became rather passionate and determined about implementing Windchill right after your Robotalk 2013 Windchill Webinar. Your presentation style, your faith and your confidence in Windchill gave me the final impetus to begin my journey into Windchill.

An another more important note, Happy Thanksgiving to all of the PTC employees dedicated to helping FIRST and presenting and promoting STEM to our future leaders. Also, Happy Thanksgiving also to all the members of this PTC Community as well they are so passionate about your incredibly powerful products.

It is rather refreshing to see such a high caliber of SUPER SMART people in PTC's Community that are truly dedicated to your products. It is also readily apparent their level loyalty and faith in your corporate culture by how quickly people in this community are willing to engage and help in an incredibly short notice. Plain out good will is obvious.

Best Regards,

-Emil

Hi David,

Happy Thanksgiving! And thank you for your feedback.

Josh,

Happy Thanksgiving and thanks for all your assistance as well.

Thank you Emil! I like to see your determination in learning Windchill!

Have a great Thanksgiving!

Emil,

Thanks for the kind words and pioneering the KOP checkin

I have updated all the offending assembly files in the Tetrix KOP and added them to this document. It also explains a little bit about ghost objects in Windchill and how to update your local KOP files.

We should have the master downloads on the CDS site updated by Monday, after Thanksgiving.

To make things easier for everyone else, I have enabled the option Josh mentioned as the default action for everyone since it is a viable solution. I'll also try to cover this in next week's Robotalk session on Windchill CAD Data Management.