cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

Academic License with Commercial License

ptc-5405387
1-Newbie

Academic License with Commercial License

I am an professional engineer and have my own commercial license of Creo. I am also a coach of a FIRST Robotics FTC Team and wish to help my kids with learning and using Creo. I know I can't open any of their files with my commercial license nor can I create files for them to open. I understand why so I just want to make sure I can set my machine up to run the academic license to review their work and support them.

Does anyone know if I can run both a commercial license and academic license on the same machine?

If I can, what things do I need to do to not mess up my current commercial configuration?

Thanks for any Help, Mark

P.S. If this is the wrong forum to discuss this, I appologize and hope someone could direct me to the correct place to get help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
MarkCheli
6-Contributor
(To:ptc-5405387)

HI Mark,

Absolutely! We have plenty of FIRST mentors that have this set up. The process is a little bit complicated and there are a few things that can go wrong. If you can send me an email at - I can connect with you to do a remote session. This will allow me to verify that everything is working as it should and that both licenses are valid.

Please let me know if anyone else has this same request. Thanks!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
MarkCheli
6-Contributor
(To:ptc-5405387)

HI Mark,

Absolutely! We have plenty of FIRST mentors that have this set up. The process is a little bit complicated and there are a few things that can go wrong. If you can send me an email at - I can connect with you to do a remote session. This will allow me to verify that everything is working as it should and that both licenses are valid.

Please let me know if anyone else has this same request. Thanks!

Mark,

Could you elaborate on how to complete this process?

Thanks!

Shane

MarkCheli
6-Contributor
(To:ptc-6758018)

Shane,

The below guide assumes that the license that you are currently using is the commercial license. If this is not the case, please let me know. Also it assumes that you have generated a schools edition license file and saved it to the correct place. If you haven’t done this part, here’s how:

1. Go to: http://www.ptc.com/appserver/lm/programs/index.jsp?&hostid=REQUIRED&program=creoedusgl3&product=BH400407EDSTUDENTEDK12 to generate a license and have it emailed to you. I have included a utility that can help determine your license file.
  2. Save the license file to: C:\ProgramData\PTC\Licensing
Here’s the process to get the two license files to work together…
  1. Navigate to the bin folder of Creo Parametric, usually C:\Program Files\PTC\Creo 3.0\M010\Parametric\bin
  2. In this folder you should have two files “parametric.bat” and “parametric.psf”. If your software is currently configured to run on your commercial license, rename these files to “commercial.bat” and “commercial.psf”.
  3. Edit the file “commercial.bat” and change the path in the file to read:
    "C:\Program Files\PTC\Creo 3.0\M010\Parametric\bin\parametric.exe" "C:\Program Files\PTC\Creo 3.0\M010\Parametric\bin\commercial.psf" %*
    The only change you should make is the one highlighted. Save the changes and close the file.

4. Edit the file “commercial.psf” and go to the line that begins with “DESC=” which should be on line 4 to say
    DESC=Commercial Edition
  5. Also change the line that says “ENV=PRO_MECH_COMMAND” to say (line 10):
    ENV=PRO_MECH_COMMAND="%CREOAPP_DIRECTORY%\bin\parametric.exe" "%CREOAPP_DIRECTORY%\bin\commercial.psf"Save the changes and close the file.
  6. Copy commercial.psf and commercial.bat and make another copy in the C:\Program Files\PTC\Creo 3.0\M010\Parametric\bin folder. Name these files schools.psf and schools.bat respectively.
  7. Edit the file “schools.bat” and change the path in the file to read:
    "C:\Program Files\PTC\Creo 3.0\M010\Parametric\bin\parametric.exe" "C:\Program Files\PTC\Creo 3.0\M010\Parametric\bin\schools.psf" %*
    The only change you should make is the one highlighted. Save the changes and close the file.

8. Edit the file “schools.bat” and make the following changes…
    1. Change the line that says “DESC=” (line 4) DESC=PTC Creo Parametric (default) to say:
      DESC=Schools Edition

2. Change the line that says “ENV=PRO_MECH_COMMAND” to say (line 10):
      ENV=PRO_MECH_COMMAND="%CREOAPP_DIRECTORY%\bin\parametric.exe" "%CREOAPP_DIRECTORY%\bin\ schools.psf"
    3. Change the “ENV=PTC_D_LICENSE_FILE-=” (line 34) to have your schools license path. Here is an example of mine:ENV=PTC_D_LICENSE_FILE-=C:\ProgramData\PTC\Licensing\BH400407EDSTUDENTEDK12_license.dat
    4. Change the line “ENV=CREOPMA_FEATURE_NAME=” (line 36) to say:
      ENV=CREOPMA_FEATURE_NAME=CREOPMA_Schools3 ()
    5. Save your changes and close.

9. Now when you launch Creo 3.0, it should prompt you which license you would like to use!

If you run into any problems, please let me know!

Thank you so much Mark!!

MarkCheli
6-Contributor
(To:ptc-6758018)

Any time!

ismi
1-Newbie
(To:MarkCheli)

[URGENT] Is it possible to open creo files "made on commercial license" on student license?? 

Alex_Cazacu
17-Peridot
(To:ismi)

Hello,

University or schools licenses can open commercial files. 

You can open the files using the University license and after saving them the files will be educational so they will open on your Creo.

Also if you don't have access to a University license you can license your computer or other computer with a school free license, open and save the files. 

Here is the guide for a schools free license:

http://apps.ptc.com/schools/referendfces/install_creo6_schools_standard.pdf

Thanks,

Alex

Hi,

I am trying to open a commercial version part with a student version of Creo, however, it is not working. A warning box pops up stating "The file (file name) was created with a commercial version of Creo Parametric and is not compatible with the version of Creo Parametric Student Edition (for educational use only) you are running." When I press ok Creo closes. Is there a way to solve this issue? I'm currently running Creo 6.0.2.0

Thanks

@MK_9533287 wrote:

Hi,

I am trying to open a commercial version part with a student version of Creo, however, it is not working. A warning box pops up stating "The file (file name) was created with a commercial version of Creo Parametric and is not compatible with the version of Creo Parametric Student Edition (for educational use only) you are running." When I press ok Creo closes. Is there a way to solve this issue? I'm currently running Creo 6.0.2.0

Thanks

Hi,

1.]

Creo using Student license should not crash after unsuccessful opening of "commercial" part.

2.]

Creo using Academic license is able to open "commercial" part and save it. Saved file can be opened in Creo using Student license. Academic license is usually available in university labs. Ask your university CAD admin.

Martin Hanák
Top Tags