cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

Can't install purchased Mathcad 8 student edition.

DH_8694814
1-Newbie

Can't install purchased Mathcad 8 student edition.

Trying to install Mathcad 8.0. I downloaded pim_installmgr_mathcad_8.exe. I am using Window 11. When I runt pim_installmgr_mathcad_8.exe a dialog asks permission to make changes to my device. I respond OK and then nothing happens. No install.
30 REPLIES 30

1. Did you use this download link? "Mathcad Downloads": https://support.ptc.com/support/mathcad_downloads.htm

2. Please show a screenshot of your error.

Hi,

download MED-60893-CD-280_8-0-0-0.zip from https://support.ptc.com/appserver/auth/it/esd/academicFree.jsp page, unzip it into new empty directory and run setup.exe.

Martin Hanák

Thank you. I downloaded and tried with the same exact results. I cannot show a screenshot of the error as the setup program just stops. No error is shown. no instal is done.

@DH_8694814 wrote:
Thank you. I downloaded and tried with the same exact results. I cannot show a screenshot of the error as the setup program just stops. No error is shown. no instal is done.

Hi,

1.]

According to https://www.ptc.com/support/-/media/support/refdocs/Mathcad_Prime/8,-d-,0/Mathcad_Prime_8_0_Platform_Support.pdf?sc_lang=en Windows 11 64-bit 21H2 is supported

2.]

Please provide detailed information about hardware configuration of your PC. You can run System Information application, Save .nfo file, zip it and upload .zip file.

3.]

Please provide complete absolute path to setup.exe you are trying to run.

Also you can run Event Viewer and search for an error message related to setup.exe.

Martin Hanák

I have the exact same problem. I double-click on the setup file, but nothing happens. I tried to run this as Administrator, and also turn off the firewall, but all to no avail. Following your suggestion, I checked Event Viewer, and below is the error report related to this event. I also attach my .nfo file in zip format. Any help will be gratefully appreciated!  

Log Name: Application
Source: Application Error
Date: 3/22/2023 3:47:28 PM
Event ID: 1000
Task Category: Application Crashing Events
Level: Error
Keywords:
User: MYCOMPUTER\Administrator
Computer: MYCOMPUTER
Description:
Faulting application name: setup.exe_Creo, version: 36.0.2022.13, time stamp: 0x62011a99
Faulting module name: baselibmt.dll, version: 36.0.2022.13, time stamp: 0x6200de01
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000000183da
Faulting process id: 0x0x7724
Faulting application start time: 0x0x1D95CEEBEAC1C5E
Faulting application path: C:\Users\marca\Dropbox\DATA\Temporary Files\Mathcad\Prime 8\MED-60893-CD-280_8-0-0-0\setup.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Users\marca\Dropbox\DATA\Temporary Files\Mathcad\Prime 8\MED-60893-CD-280_8-0-0-0\pim\x86e_win64\baselibmt.dll
Report Id: b9930674-a865-4f98-9885-b6794cda49be
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Application Error" Guid="{a0e9b465-b939-57d7-b27d-95d8e925ff57}" />
<EventID>1000</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>100</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8000000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2023-03-22T18:47:28.2476207Z" />
<EventRecordID>45393</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="14056" ThreadID="14368" />
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>MYCOMPUTER</Computer>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-21-4078059736-2581917747-2474584267-500" />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="AppName">setup.exe_Creo</Data>
<Data Name="AppVersion">36.0.2022.13</Data>
<Data Name="AppTimeStamp">62011a99</Data>
<Data Name="ModuleName">baselibmt.dll</Data>
<Data Name="ModuleVersion">36.0.2022.13</Data>
<Data Name="ModuleTimeStamp">6200de01</Data>
<Data Name="ExceptionCode">c0000005</Data>
<Data Name="FaultingOffset">00000000000183da</Data>
<Data Name="ProcessId">0x7724</Data>
<Data Name="ProcessCreationTime">0x1d95ceebeac1c5e</Data>
<Data Name="AppPath">C:\Users\marca\Dropbox\DATA\Temporary Files\Mathcad\Prime 8\MED-60893-CD-280_8-0-0-0\setup.exe</Data>
<Data Name="ModulePath">C:\Users\marca\Dropbox\DATA\Temporary Files\Mathcad\Prime 8\MED-60893-CD-280_8-0-0-0\pim\x86e_win64\baselibmt.dll</Data>
<Data Name="IntegratorReportId">b9930674-a865-4f98-9885-b6794cda49be</Data>
<Data Name="PackageFullName">
</Data>
<Data Name="PackageRelativeAppId">
</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

Hi,

I do no like following path 
C:\Users\marca\Dropbox\DATA\Temporary Files\Mathcad\Prime 8\MED-60893-CD-280_8-0-0-0\setup.exe

Sugggestion:

• create C:\Users\marca\MATHCAD8_install directory
  • move the contents of C:\Users\marca\Dropbox\DATA\Temporary Files\Mathcad\Prime 8\MED-60893-CD-280_8-0-0-0 directory to C:\Users\marca\MATHCAD8_install directory
  • run C:\Users\marca\MATHCAD8_install\setup.exe

Martin Hanák

maybe also following network adapters can cause problems ... I hope you can disable them temporarily

Fortinet Virtual Ethernet Adapter (NDIS 6.30)

Fortinet SSL VPN Virtual Ethernet Adapter

Hyper-V Virtual Switch Extension Adapter

Martin Hanák

Many thanks for your feedback. I followed your suggestions: first I moved the installation files to a new C:\Users\marca\MATHCAD8_install directory, then I disabled Hyper-V on my computer. Upon reboot, I also turned FortiClient VPN off. No luck though: still nothing happens, apart from the pop-up window asking whether I want to allow PTC Inc. to make changes to my device. Actually, for a couple of seconds a small, spinning blue circle shows up next to the pointer, but then it vanishes and nothing else happens. 

Thanks. I unzipped the pim_installmgr_mathcad.exe in the C:\Users\marca\MATHCAD8_install folder. However, the only executable file that comes up is setup.exe. There is no .msi or .exe file in any subfolder. I tried running setup.exe anyway, and for the first time, the installation windows did come up!  I could enter my credentials and have the license file recognized. However, when I get to "Application Selection", all I get is an empty list. Any ideas why this may be? 

Hi,

• unzip full installation package
  • replace non-functional setup.exe with the file unpacked from pim_installmgr_mathcad.exe
  • run setup.exe

Note: You can also search for msi file in unzipped full installation package.

Martin Hanák

Thanks, but I think this is exactly what I did. Maybe I'm missing something though? 

@MC_10629614 wrote:

Thanks, but I think this is exactly what I did. Maybe I'm missing something though? 

Hi,

my last suggestion ...

• download MED-60893-CD-280_8-0-0-0.zip from https://support.ptc.com/appserver/auth/it/esd/academicFree.jsp page
  • unzip MED-60893-CD-280_8-0-0-0.zip
  • run MED-60893-CD-280_8-0-0-0\setup.exe
  • if setup.exe does not work then run
    • MED-60893-CD-280_8-0-0-0\ptcsh0\ndp48-x86-x64-allos-enu.exe
    • MED-60893-CD-280_8-0-0-0\ptcsh0\PrimeWixInstaller_64bit.msi

Martin Hanák

setup.exe didn't work, and I couldn't install ndp48-x86-x64-allos-enu.exe because ".NET Framework 4.8 or a later update is already installed on this computer." However, I could run PrimeWixInstaller_64bit.msi and proceed with the installation and activation. Thank you SO very much, Martin!!! 

Hmm, apparently the activation didn't work though, as the program starts with a diagonal "Created with PTC Mathcad" band and "upgrade" and "activate" buttons in the upper right. I go through the "activate" process to use the license I had already retrieved, I receive the message that the program has already been activated... but all remains the same. Any ideas? 

Hi,

ask Google how to add license to Mathcad. Start Mathcad, activate Licensing tab and enter the path to license file. You received the file  via email and the file was saved by installer into C:\ProgramData\PTC\Licensing directory.

Martin Hanák

Yes, I'm doing that, but I get the following error:

3/31/2023 2:33:51 PM : The license request failed.
Requesting MathcadPrime ...
C:\Program Files\PTC\sw_license_email_183781.dat: (-9) Invalid host.

The problem seems to be that the Host ID that is shown at the top of the "PTC Mathcad Options" is somehow different from the "HOSTID" that is found in the PTC License Pack file that I retrieved yesterday, even though this is the same computer. I requested a new one, but I get as a response that I have "already reached the maximum number of license requests available for your product type". It seems like I'm deadlocked here!? 

Hi,

please send host id included in license file. Also open Command prompt window, run ipconfig /all > ip txt and upload ip.txt file. You can expect next reply on Monday.

Martin Hanák

Hi Martin, 

The license file shows HOSTID=PTC_HOSTID=18-CC-18-A5-23-8C, whereas the Host ID that shows up in the licensing window is 00-09-0F-FE-00-01. 

My ip.txt file is attached. I see that both physical addresses show up there. I'm trying to activate this on my laptop computer, which I travel around with a lot (today I'm using it from home, yesterday it was from my office, etc.), and so I really must be able to use Mathcad wherever I may be, including sometimes connecting remotely to my office network using VPN. Maybe none of this is relevant, but I thought I'd mention it anyway, just in case! 

Thanks again, best, --MC 

@MC_10629614 wrote:

Hi Martin, 

The license file shows HOSTID=PTC_HOSTID=18-CC-18-A5-23-8C, whereas the Host ID that shows up in the licensing window is 00-09-0F-FE-00-01. 

My ip.txt file is attached. I see that both physical addresses show up there. I'm trying to activate this on my laptop computer, which I travel around with a lot (today I'm using it from home, yesterday it was from my office, etc.), and so I really must be able to use Mathcad wherever I may be, including sometimes connecting remotely to my office network using VPN. Maybe none of this is relevant, but I thought I'd mention it anyway, just in case! 

Thanks again, best, --MC 

Hi,

unfortunately, you are another victim of imperfect network card detection when the installer is running.

Please try follow below mentioned steps:

1.)

Start Device Manager and turn off power saving in Realtek USB GbE Family Controller properties. See picture.

Restart computer.

MartinHanak_0-1680423386790.png

2.] Try procedure mentioned in https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS68726 article (I guess it is invisible for you).

Go to http://support.ptc.com/support/mathcad_supportCenterSingleUser.htm page.

MartinHanak_1-1680423807850.png

Select Licensing > Next

MartinHanak_2-1680423864395.png

Firstly try Get License option and fill out the form ... I've never done it, so you'll have to figure it out for yourself.

What you need to get license file for Physical Address 00-E0-4C-68-03-30

If the first attempt fails try Log Case option ... again I've never done it, so you'll have to figure it out for yourself.

Explain that you need for Physical Address 00-E0-4C-68-03-30

3.]

If you decide not to use step 2.] then (I hope) you can send direct email to academicsupport@ptc.com

Tell them that you need license for Mathcad Prime 8.0, send the Mac address 00-E0-4C-68-03-30 and the product code. Hopefully they will send you the license file.

Martin Hanák

Hi Martin, 

Thanks, but when I arrived in my office this morning and opened Mathcad, I was stunned to find that the program behaved as if I had successfully registered it, when in fact, as we know, I had not. But, lo and behold, it does seem like the mere fact that I am now using my office network allowed the program to seamlessly register itself, using the previously retrieved license!

I hope I won't have problems when I try to use my laptop elsewhere though. I'll keep you posted! 

Thanks again, --MC 

@MC_10629614 wrote:

Hi Martin, 

Thanks, but when I arrived in my office this morning and opened Mathcad, I was stunned to find that the program behaved as if I had successfully registered it, when in fact, as we know, I had not. But, lo and behold, it does seem like the mere fact that I am now using my office network allowed the program to seamlessly register itself, using the previously retrieved license!

I hope I won't have problems when I try to use my laptop elsewhere though. I'll keep you posted! 

Thanks again, --MC 

Hi,

I think it is necessary to continue debugging the problem ...

Please open Command prompt window, run ipconfig /all > ip txt and upload ip.txt file, again. The contents of the file can tell you what network card has Physical Address 18-CC-18-A5-23-8C. If that network card belongs to docking station then Mathcad will not work, when you leave the office.

Martin Hanák

Hmm, I see. The ip.txt is attached. That address does not seem to be associated with a docking station (indeed, I don't use one). Anything else you think may be of relevance? Thanks, best, --MC 

@MartinHanak wrote:

@MC_10629614 wrote:

Hi Martin, 

Thanks again, --MC 

Hi,

I think it is necessary to continue debugging the problem ...

Please open Command prompt window, run ipconfig /all > ip txt and upload ip.txt file, again. The contents of the file can tell you what network card has Physical Address 18-CC-18-A5-23-8C. If that network card belongs to docking station then Mathcad will not work, when you leave the office.

Hi,

in ip.txt generated on 2023-04-03 there is following block of lines:

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
   Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : uc.cl
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX201 160MHz
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 18-CC-18-A5-23-8C
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
   Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

This means that Physical Address 18-CC-18-A5-23-8C is assigned to Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX201 160MHz network card. It should be your laptop's internal wifi network card.

ip.txt generated on 2023-03-31 does not contain the above mentioned block of lines. This means that on 2023-03-31 wifi network card was disabled (i.e. Windows didn't know about it).

Conclusion

Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX201 160MHz network card must always be enabled.

In Device Manager power saving in Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX201 160MHz properties must always be turned off.

Martin Hanák

Thanks, Martin. I opened Device Manager, selected Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX201 160MHz Network Adapter, then under Advanced, I turned the MIMO Power Save Mode property to a value No SMPS. Do you think this should do the trick? I couldn't find any other obvious power usage-related property related to this network adapter (Intel driver version: 22.160.0.3, 07/19/2022). Thanks again, --MC 

@MC_10629614 wrote:

Thanks, Martin. I opened Device Manager, selected Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX201 160MHz Network Adapter, then under Advanced, I turned the MIMO Power Save Mode property to a value No SMPS. Do you think this should do the trick? I couldn't find any other obvious power usage-related property related to this network adapter (Intel driver version: 22.160.0.3, 07/19/2022). Thanks again, --MC 

Hi,

I have never user Advanced settings, therefore I do not know what MIMO Power Save Mode = No SMPS means.

On my laptop, when I open Device Manager as  user with Administrator right, I can uncheck following option.

MartinHanak_0-1680614847654.png

Martin Hanák

Hi,

I forgot tell you about windows functionality mentioned on https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/how-to-use-random-hardware-addresses-in-windows-ac58de34-35fc-31ff-c650-823fc48eb1bc page. The randomization of Wi-Fi MAC address can also cause problems.

Martin Hanák

Hmm, there is no Power Management option for this adapter that I can see, even though I'm running devmgmt.msc as Administrator. I see other adapters do have this option, so maybe it's just not available with this driver? There doesn't seem to be an updated driver for this card that I could use.  --MC

Top Tags