cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Comparing a pointcloud with a part-file

Silje
4-Participant

Comparing a pointcloud with a part-file

Hi, im working on my Bachelor assignment and have done a 3D scan of a part. This part has an existing CAD part file in creo. I am going to compare my pointcloud with this prt file. Is there a way to do this in Creo parametric 5.0? Some way to use the pointcloud as an "overlay" to the original part file, to see the deviation between them? I need an accurate comparing between them, and was asked spesificly to use Creo as software. Thanks in advance for any help I can get!

5 REPLIES 5
remy
21-Topaz I
(To:Silje)

Hi

have a look to REX (Reverse Engineering Extension).

If you have a valid support account, browse the knowledge base. There are some ressources there and even some step by step tutorials.

MartinHanak
24-Ruby II
(To:remy)

Hi,

I doubt the student has access to REX license.

Martin Hanák
Silje
4-Participant

I have the full version, so REX is available for me!:) 

Im quite new to the Creo software, so please excuse me if "dumb" questions are asked!

If I have understod it right, REX provides the opertunity to recreate a 3D modell from the pointcloud data?

I have 3 different point clouds that I am going to compare to the original prt file. It is a pretty complex part. If I further use REX to make a point cloud a solid, how can I compare this to the original? Is there an easy way to visibly show the offset between them? 

In the 3D scanning software there is a comparing opportunity. It uses the pointcloud as an overlay on the prt file, and shows in colouring the offset from + to - mm, if that makes sence. The downside is that I have to use Creo. Is there a similar comparing setting In creo? maby with two prt files, in use of REX?

Thank you both for responding!

MartinHanak
24-Ruby II

Hi,

according to https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article?n=CS20998 ...

To compare part:

1. Open first part
  2. Choose Compare Part
    • For Pro/ENGINEER Wildfire, Select Analysis > Compare part > By Feature or By Geometry
    • For Creo Parametric, Tools Tab > Investigate Group > Compare Part > By Feature or By Geometry 
  3. The Open dialog box opens and lists the part files in the working directory
  4. Select part file to compare with first part
    • By Feature: A list of all the features in the second part that have been modified, along with the features that are present in the second part but missing in the first part will be displayed in the browser. The graphics window displays a model with the second part overlaid on the first part and the differences are highlighted in red.
    • By Geometry: A shaded color display showing the differences between the second part and the current part is displayed in the Graphics window. The Color Range dialog box opens beside the color display, and displays a visual color chart containing the measurement definitions of each color.

Martin Hanák
Silje
4-Participant
(To:MartinHanak)

Thank you so much! 

Top Tags