cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Extrude .dxf: No geometry + Creo is slow

theatrerabbit
5-Regular Member

Extrude .dxf: No geometry + Creo is slow

Hello!

I imported .dxf file into Creo. The program doesn't want to extrude it, at least not the part I want.

Here is the procedure to repeat my "error":
1) Open Creo.
2) New.

3) Uncheck "use default template -> Choose "solid_part_mmks_abs".
4) In Creo, click "Sketch" and choose a plane.
5) "File System" -> select .dxf file.
6) Place file on the plane.
7) Click "OK" (after some time many markings appear).
😎 Around 100 times click "No" on these windows (and then I got file "Bookend.prt"):

GP_9686355_0-1613714157863.png

9) Try to extrude the part between lines (I also need to extrude all stars, but this is a detail).

Step 9 is the one which I am unable to do. I can select the space between lines (see image below):

GP_9686355_1-1613714367376.png

and when I click here, then message "No geometry was created" appears in message log:

GP_9686355_3-1613714937057.png

What I tried to do is make a "negative" of this model, so I would substract this negative from a cylinder and then get the final relief I want. But I figured out it is also impossible to extrude the last two planes (see file Best_Attempt.prt) - the same message "No geometry was created" appears. There is a distance, but no geometry:

GP_9686355_2-1613714882274.png

In addition to all this Creo works very slowly. After every extrude I have to wait like 30s to be able to continue working.

I use Creo Parametric 7.0.0.0 (Creo Direct Educational Edition). The logo I used is this one: https://www.pinterest.es/pin/396879785916988026/. I transformed it to .dxf file using Inkscape.

I searched this forum, youtube and other portals (I did update my graphic card!), but I haven't found the solution for my problem. I need to put this logo on a L-shaped object and then I will 3-D print a bookend for my sister.

Any help would be very appreciated.

Gregor

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@theatrerabbit wrote:

Hello!

I imported .dxf file into Creo. The program doesn't want to extrude it, at least not the part I want.

1) Open Creo.
2) New.

😎 Around 100 times click "No" on these windows (and then I got file "Bookend.prt"):

9) Try to extrude the part between lines (I also need to extrude all stars, but this is a detail).

Step 9 is the one which I am unable to do. I can select the space between lines (see image below):

and when I click here, then message "No geometry was created" appears in message log:

What I tried to do is make a "negative" of this model, so I would substract this negative from a cylinder and then get the final relief I want. But I figured out it is also impossible to extrude the last two planes (see file Best_Attempt.prt) - the same message "No geometry was created" appears. There is a distance, but no geometry:

In addition to all this Creo works very slowly. After every extrude I have to wait like 30s to be able to continue working.

I use Creo Parametric 7.0.0.0 (Creo Direct Educational Edition). The logo I used is this one: https://www.pinterest.es/pin/396879785916988026/. I transformed it to .dxf file using Inkscape.

I searched this forum, youtube and other portals (I did update my graphic card!), but I haven't found the solution for my problem. I need to put this logo on a L-shaped object and then I will 3-D print a bookend for my sister.

Gregor

Hi,

I cannot open your parts, because they are stored in Student version.

I did simple test in Commercial version.

• I created new part (in the same way as you)
  • I added sketch feature (in the same way as you)
  • I added sketch feature representing bounding square around 1st sketch
  • I added extrude feature
  • in sketcher I used Project command, choose Loop option and selected 1st sketch in model tree
  • in sketcher I used Project command, choose Loop option and selected 2nd sketch in model tree
  • one red square appeared in the sketch
  • I zoomed "red square" area, removed one line and created new one
  • I finished extrude feature and get following result

result.png

•  

Martin Hanák

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

@theatrerabbit wrote:

Hello!

1) Open Creo.
2) New.

Gregor

Hi,

I cannot open your parts, because they are stored in Student version.

I did simple test in Commercial version.

• I created new part (in the same way as you)
  • I added sketch feature (in the same way as you)
  • I added sketch feature representing bounding square around 1st sketch
  • I added extrude feature
  • in sketcher I used Project command, choose Loop option and selected 1st sketch in model tree
  • in sketcher I used Project command, choose Loop option and selected 2nd sketch in model tree
  • one red square appeared in the sketch
  • I zoomed "red square" area, removed one line and created new one
  • I finished extrude feature and get following result

result.png

•  

Martin Hanák
theatrerabbit
5-Regular Member
(To:MartinHanak)

Dear @MartinHanak ,

that's the exact solution I was looking for. Thank you so much! Here is the result I was looking for many hours (I rotated the model a little bit, so you can see 3D shape) and which I already got after first projection when I was following your instructions.

All the best, 

Gregor

GP_9686355_0-1613748809490.png

Top Tags