cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

FIRST Windchill Server "on the move"

sm
1-Newbie
1-Newbie

FIRST Windchill Server "on the move"

Hi,

Quick update for everyone using the FIRST Windchill sever @ http://firstrobotics.ptc.com/Windchill. PTC is in the process of updating this server from Windchill 10.1 to Windchill 10.2. As we make this move, we'll be consolidating all the PTC Academic programs onto a single server located in Needham, MA. This is an exciting move for us and consolidating all the programs will make things much easier for PTC to management and for participants to work with.

Fear not, this change will not impact you or your work. It will be a software update and all your data is safe. Nothing is being removed. PTC will simply update the Windchill software and next time you log in, you be connected to the latest and greatest version of Windchill.

Our plan is to comlete the update and "go-live" before the end of August. I will share updates along the way to let you know about the progress and any potential service interruptions.

-Scott

PS. As part of this process, PTC will be shutting down the old Windchill 9.1 server located at http://first.ptc.com/Windchill. From what we can see, no one other than the administrative team has accessed this server in over 2-3 years. PTC should have shut it down a long time ago since everyone is currently working with the new server at http://firstrobotics.ptc.com/Windchill, there is no reason to keep it running.

9 REPLIES 9
robwood
1-Newbie
(To:sm)

I hope the new Windchill version would work better with windows 8.1 and IE 11

sm
1-Newbie
1-Newbie
(To:robwood)

Yes, that's one of the many key motivators for this update.

JoshH
3-Visitor

Any progress in defining a library for the KOP?

sm
1-Newbie
1-Newbie
(To:JoshH)

Yes, we are building a new lower layer infrastructure that will allow us to give all users read access to a Library which we did not have before. In our previous configuration, all new users were added to an Org based on their email domain. As you can imagine, this created a lot of Orgs and no feasible way to grant them all access to a common library and maintain it.

The new server will use a different method and we should have an automated method of granting people access to the right locations this time . Once the new server is launched, I'll start working on the various KOP models. This should give PTC a great way to manage and distribute the models and everyone else a great way to always stay current with the latest KOP models.

JoshH
3-Visitor

Couldn't quite find the proper emoticon but hopefully the above will help partially relay my sentiment.

JoshH
3-Visitor

A little warning would have been nice!!!

I have a team of kids working on an off season project that are really going to be unhappy with PTC. I'm really hoping they have back-ups of their files for a presentation they were planning this week.

I was alerted by another team that was working on training materials as well as an off-season CNC router.

Is there going to be a risk of data corruption with workpsaces when it comes back online? Is there a chance to bring it back online temporarily to check-in and back up file?

sm
1-Newbie
1-Newbie

Ah-ha,

I just realized what you are referring to. I was not aware this happened. Lemme check in with the IT team and see what the plan is. I was not told about this shutdown and would have certainly informed people about it before it happened.

shutdown.png

JoshH
3-Visitor

Sorry, my bad. While doing my best to restrain myself from being too colorful, I left out the most critical piece of information! Glad you're somewhat psychic Scott!

sm
1-Newbie
1-Newbie

Windchill server firstrobotics.ptc.com/Windchill has been shutdown for maintenance

Apologies for the late notice. In order to start the data migration, IT needed to take the server offline while we move the server from Europe to Needham. This is a temporary shutdown and the new server is expected to be back online in a few weeks.

If you have critical data you need access to, PM me and I'll see what I can do to help you out.

Top Tags